Soon At Tom's Hardware: Full-Scale Power Supply Testing

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mariushm

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
Should also test with a 150 W value - there's a big gap between 85W and 300W.

150 W is about what a computer with the previous generation components like quad core CPU (Q6600) and ATI 4850-4870 would use in idle. This same system would use about 250W while running games, so the 300W measurements would be close enough.

G

@ JohnMD1022
Good think TH is going to start doing some high quality tests. From what I read, TH has even higher quality stuff then what the that article mentioned.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
-1 to everyone who made a comment implying that Tom's Hardware has never tested power supplies before. These reviews were suspended for a time during an organizational shuffle, and I'm glad to see we finally have some testers able to blow the dust off that expensive equipment.

fausto

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2005
this is awesome. power supply landscape has changed a lot in recent times. it's time to have a best PSU's for the money...presenting a 50, 100, 150 and 200 dollar range.

also it's time to have 100% modular customizable PSU's. i have found through personal use that current modular PSU's are bullshit. you end up plugging every single wire. we need to make a standard plug and that was people can truly customize their setup by ordering very specific cables. current modular psu's you end up plugging all wifes in except for maybe 1 or 2.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Unless you are running an 'uber-gaming' rig, 600 Watts should be enough of a power supply for anyone, even those with multiple hard drives, multiple Blu-Ray/DVD drives, etc.

[citation][nom]haplo602[/nom]I hope you won't exclude the sub 500W PSUs as most of the review sites do. I want to build a small and quiet PC with a powerfull GPU. A 450W PSU is plenty power for that, just nobody realy reviews PSUs with such low power.[/citation]
ABSOLUTELY! That's the range I see too often missing from HardOCP and HardwareSecrets (although they just did the FSP and Seasonic 300W TFX models; both good) and jonnyguru (unless they're blowing up cheapies).
1. In any case, please distinguish yourself from the sites already doing quality reviews. Comparison charts would be one sure way; doing a lot more of them, and covering the lower wattage units, would be two more.
2. Please pass information on blatant failures to relevant authorities for prosecution (e.g. consumer fraud). At the least send quality reports to Newegg (and other vendors), encouraging them not to offer poop for sale. They may be made in China, but I'd like to see the domestic distributors fined out of existence, and the vendors refuse to sell them.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]Crashman[/nom]-1 to everyone who made a comment implying that Tom's Hardware has never tested power supplies before. These reviews were suspended for a time during an organizational shuffle, and I'm glad to see we finally have some testers able to blow the dust off that expensive equipment.[/citation]

Well once you guys start checking power supplies again, make sure to mention any noise that comes from the unit even if it is within an acceptable decibel range.

I recently bought a unit because teh review on another site said it was good. And while I can't claim the ratings are wrong or anything like that, I dare say that if I had heard the unit in action before buying it I wouldn't have.
Ticking noises and other annoying things need mentioning.

Meicol

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
exelent news.. for a long time i´m waiting another PSUs test... even remember the last benchmark created by the great equip of Tom's Hardware.. thanks for the great work and continuous effort ..

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
I have wondered about power efficiency with power supplies. I know there are PSU calculators, but how good are they at reccomending? Is it better to match your PSU to the max power draw of the system or should you get a PSU that has I higher max? And exactly how much higher?

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
The test that have more weight with me than others include hot boxing the PSU, and how clean the power is by measuring the ripple. Regulation is important too, you don't want a unit that hunts around a target voltage.

Will we one day have a PSU chart like the other benchmark charts?

How do you plan to organize this? By function hopefully (12v amps and appropriate connections.) Seems better than total voltage. Especially with the cheaper units pumping up the 3.3v and 5v just to pad the stats.

G

[citation][nom]dmody[/nom]yes to sound level measurements for everything!!!![/citation]

Sound Level Mmeasurements To The People!

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
I want a platinum PSU. Whats next?...Diamond! 99% Efficiency!
Either way this sounds like a great branch for Tom to take, come to think of it, I'm surprise they didn't do this sooner. Wonder how much that fancy oscilloscope costs.

i just don't know why they didn't make a 90plus sticker at that point (and then make bronze, silver, and gold later)

ansar

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
About time.... Other sites have been doing this for awhile now. I am glad that Tom's is taking this seriously now.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I have to agree, you need to top johnnyguru and hardware secrets for me to put any validity into your PSU reviews. It's been a long time since I've seen one here, do it right.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Lol at all those sound measurement comments, i'd say you can start reviewing it an a non scientific way an opinion, but to use measurements is misleading as there is also frequencies that annoy people not just raw sound.

It will be good to have another source that seems good, vs hardware secrets and johnny guru

festerovic

Distinguished
This is great news. If you added CPU cooler testing, this site would have it all. I know you occasionally do articles on CPU coolers, but what if they got the same attention as graphics cards? I mean, we don't need a GPU buying guide every 3 weeks. $.02

HavoCnMe

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
OH OH OH, CLEAN power not just 80% efficiency at whatever load. I believe this will lead to even more efficient psu's and even some at the 2kw level. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.