SOOO MANY VERSIONS OF GTX 1070! Which one should I get?

davidgar026

Commendable
Jun 22, 2016
So I know that the GTX 1070's Founder Edition is available for now. Later on there will be custom made and non reference cards of the 2070. I want to know what versions of the 1070 or brand should I be getting or a specific version of the 1070 that I should get. Btw i'm new to buying a GPU so I don't get all these different types of versions being released.

Here's my PC part list for reference - http://pcpartpicker.com/list/nFhWZ8

and the purpose of my build is for gaming. I was hoping i'd reach a 90 fps if that's possible.

Solution

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
here is a list of all known models so far http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3047729/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1000-series-megathread-faq-resources.html#17902598

has specs, power needs, links to reviews. there has been so few reviews it's hard to say which is "the best" yet. so far it seems that they will all oc to the same amount. it may have a higher oc out of the box but it will still max at the same as the FE will. i'd wait a while for more models to be readily available and reviewed so we can see what performs better. though i don't think there will be a massive difference between the models, just like with the 1080's. all the custom ones perform near identical to each other. this makes price and how it looks more important overall.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
MERGED QUESTION
Question from davidgar026 : "About ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 Founders Edition"

at stock speeds an FE card will run plenty cool. and yes the design blows the heat out of the back of the case which is actually better than the custom cards which blow the heat back inside the case. this means the case fans have to do the work of removing that heat as well as the cpu's heat.

the custom cards will run plenty cool with their better cooling, you just need to ensure you have plenty of airflow inside the case to push that heat out. no need to go crazy will watercooling the gpu since the custom cooling designs work very well already for a lot less cash.

here is a list of all models with links to reviews if they are available. read a couple to see how cool and quiet they run. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3047729/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1000-series-megathread-faq-resources.html#17902598 plus they are cheaper than FE.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
MERGED QUESTION
Question from davidgar026 : "About Reference GPUs"

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
MERGED QUESTION
Question from davidgar026 : "Just bought ASUS GTX 1070 Founders Edition for $450 and I want to know if it s worth it.?"

Warmacblu

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
If the 3rd party cards are anything like the third party GTX 1080s then it will come down to brand loyalty and looks. I have used an MSI GTX 580 Lightning Xtreme for 5 years now so I may stick with MSI. I have used eVGA in the past and like them but something draws me to a nice ASUS card. I do have an ASUS motherboard so it would be nice to have matching components even though it makes no difference.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you can add custom cooling, there are companies that make fans and such for specific gpu's. but the one thing you can't add is more power parts. an extra 6-pin connection for more power or more power phases for better power delivery can't be changed. this is purely the realm of custom cards. that's why they are custom :)

be patient and wait for a better card or grab the first FE you see and be happy with what it can do. there really is no other option right now.

davidgar026

Commendable
Jun 22, 2016

Sorry, I don't know how forums work tbh haha

davidgar026

Commendable
Jun 22, 2016

I actually bought the ASUS GTX 1070 ahehe......I was too excited to get it and its my first GPU ever. I guess it was my mistake in not waiting for the custom cards. Thank you very much for the advice! Though I've talked to my friend about reference cards and he said that they have problems with it and that I should wait for the custom cards. The problems he said about the reference cards is that they overheat and stuff. Is this just a rumor? Cause if ref. cards do have a lot of problems with it, I'd want to prevent it at least. Also, I'll probably buy a custom 1070 later on this year and join it together with the one I have now.

davidgar026

Commendable
Jun 22, 2016

Oh alright thank you! I like MSI cause it looks awesome with the black and red. I should've just got that because they were in stock. I'm guilty cause I alreayd bought the GTX 1070 FE cause I was too excited haha. I go to https://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/nvidia/gtx1070/ for availability.

davidgar026

Commendable
Jun 22, 2016

Oh alrighty thank you! I'm like trying to understand the specifics of what each GPU has like their clock speed and stuff. I'm new to building a PC in general so deciding on a GPU is complicated for me right now. But yeah thank you again for the link, I'll look into it. Also is the 1070 have the same performance with the Titan X?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador

copied straight from the link i gave you

"
at 1080p the 1070 was 18% slower than a 1080, 5% faster than a titan x, 11% faster than a 980ti, 40% faster than a 980 and 64% faster than a 970. On the AMD side, it was faster than all by 31% for the fury x, 40% for the fury and 46% for the 390x.

At 1440p the 1070 was 20% slower than a 1080, 2% faster than a titan x, 6% faster than a 980ti, 37% faster than a 980 and 64% faster than a 970!! It beat out all the AMD cards again by 21% for the fury x, 30% for the fury and 40% for the 390x

At 4k the 1070 was 20% slower than a 1080, 1% slower than a titan x, 3% faster than a 980ti, 39% faster than a 980 and 79% better than a 970. for AMD it beat the fury x by 11%, the fury by 24% and the 390x by 35%"

is why the thread is there. most everything is answered all in one place :D

Solution

jtk2515

Distinguished

Wow thats some good Work!! Glad to see the added the % for 1440p. Was getting sick of people saying the 1070 was 15% better then the 980ti at stock. I think when most people think about the 1070 or 980ti they are thinking 1440p Performance. At least in my mind.

Well done.

davidgar026

Commendable
Jun 22, 2016

OHHH yeah they have the gigabyte one. I should just get the gigabyte one. It's cheaper and my MoBo is gigabyte. I heard it'll run faster if the MoBo and the GPU are from the same company. It sucks cause I hve to wait 10 days for newegg to fully give me back and refund my money.