Sophos: Win 7 UAC Ineffective Against Malware

Status
Not open for further replies.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
"As we all say, the best defense against maleware starts at the person sitting behind the keyboard."

First off, thank you.
Second off, how hard is it to use a spell checker?

Running no AV and going just fine myself. For 11 months now.
My bros comp is running the Microsoft AV. Be nice if Win7 actually came with their OneCare (or whatever it's called).

cyprod

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
Wow, imagine that. A guy who works for an AV company says Windows 7 needs AV software.
Not going to argue the correctness of the statement, but just saying...

zelannii

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
File under "Duh".

We all know Windows has a farly useless security model on its own, with so many holes to fill the only fix is to rewrite it from scratch and give up on backward compatabiltiy.

Also as others have pointed out, considder the source! Just the same as Symantec and Trend slammed microsoft's free AV as being weak (even though it stopped more of the top 100 ITW viruses than their own product).

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]"As we all say, the best defense against maleware starts at the person sitting behind the keyboard."First off, thank you.Second off, how hard is it to use a spell checker?Running no AV and going just fine myself. For 11 months now.My bros comp is running the Microsoft AV. Be nice if Win7 actually came with their OneCare (or whatever it's called).[/citation]
You know if MS were to add OneCare of Security Essentials to default install they would get sued just like they did for bundling IE.

Hmmm.. I wasn't aware that User Access Control was being touted as a replacement for Anti-Virus. Let me check on that...

Nope - UAC has not been advertised as a replacement for proper AV protection. Next non-story, please.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Windows 7 needs AntiVirus? No way, the latest OS is 100% secure and can never get a virus, so no AntiVirus needed!

Oh wait! That's Apple's stance on OSX, not Microsoft's. My bad.

I'm pretty sure Microsoft acknowledges the need for Antivirus. Hell, when I installed the Win7 RC, it directed me to a website that offered various 3rd-party antivirus packages. And if I'm not mistaken, Microsoft has started releasing its own AV software too, right?

I mean, who ever said Windows doesn't need AntiVirus? Only someone who never connects their computer to any kind of network and never plugs in a flash drive or other portable storage into their machine.

audioee

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2007
Remember, most problems with computers happen between the chair and the keyboard.

A computer is only as smart as the person using it.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
A Sophos test showed that Windows 7 users stiil need additional anti-virus software.
Kevin Parrish, it's called spell check. When you publish an article on a popular tech news website, maybe you should think about using it.

dabell

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
The User Account Control has multiple levels to choose from. When on, what level of security was on when they did their tests? Low, Medium, or High?

hypocrisyforever

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
I've never, ever used anti-virus on any of my computers. I've never really had a problem. I've fixed a bunch of friends comps, and the fams comps from viruses. I personally feel like antivirus software is for someone who doesn't "understand" the computer and internet. Like, so, SO simple to avoid virus/trojans. If your 2 hour movie iso is 7k instead of a gig, do you think there is something weird?....lol, nah, but in all realness why bog your comp down with anti-virus software if you can substitute common sense.

itadakimasu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
um...

I'm not sure I understand. I wasn't aware that UAC did anything to "block" malware or detect it... UAC was probably the main annoyance of windows vista, especially since regular users had no idea how to turn it off, or in windows 7's case down lower.

I turn mine off, because it's rather annoying. I keep my risk of infection down by not visiting stupid, fake, and otherwise shady websites. Also by not using stupid programs like limewire, if people still use it. and best of all, I run updated AV to actively protect my system.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
As we all say, the best defense against maleware starts at the person sitting behind the keyboard.
Exactly! Doesn't matter if the OS (or AV software) is the most secure in the world if the person at the computer is a moron when it comes to avoiding malware in the first place.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
God, its designed to be customizable. and its designed to be customizable by scripts so it can be easily customized.

so you can have less virus prone, or more customizable, Pick One.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]KP[/nom] As normal, the company avoided the question in its typical pseudo-government-type-fashion[/citation]That kind of remark is precisely what I've come to expect from you. Apple is even worse about responding to that sort of thing, but I don't see that same sort of sideways remark coming from you about them. Their RDF must be too strong...

Microsoft just can't win. People pissed and moaned about UAC in Vista, and a lot of people just disabled it, or their "genius computer whiz friend" did for them. So for Win7 they made UAC control more fine-grained, and set it at a more moderate (less annoying) setting by default. Now they catch flak for that too. Windows urges you to install antivirus software. What else can they do? If they preinstall antivirus software, I'm sure the EU will jump all over them again.

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
As we all say, the best defense against maleware starts at the person sitting behind the keyboard
Uhmm, go feminism?

Back on topic, I've managed to go +7 years without AV by being careful, using FF, patching often and running free scans. Why change if it's not broken?

cruiseoveride

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
Sounds like propaganda to me.

Windows users are just too used to the idea that they need to have an anti-virus. Sophos is just reinforcing customer perceptions.

Onyx2291

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
If people just knew how to be safe. Even some AV programs can't catch all virus' I don't expect Windows 7 even if it's new to catch them all.

CChick

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
[citation][nom]lenell86[/nom]nothing new to report, everyone knows windows fails without a proper AV/Firewall...[/citation]

that means you dont know shit about Windows. moron.

Hmm, I like the last line

the best defense against maleware starts at the person sitting behind the keyboard.

Thank you.

CChick

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
When there is crime in my area, Should I go blame the government for "why let crimes live in our neighborhood?" Thats what cops are for.

people are too ignorant to admit that fact.

Mac dont have virus/malware? check again moron.

Living on an island vs Living in the USA are 2 different story.

Status
Not open for further replies.