[SOLVED] [SORT OF SOLVED] Dual Monitors Stopped Extending

FreshhCOX

Prominent
Jun 2, 2019
First of all, I'm pretty good with computers, but this got me. I have tried many, MANY threads for hours and no one except one has this exact problem, but that thread went nowhere at all. I have Windows 10. I use a 4K TV as my main monitor and a 1080p Dell as my second both connected to my GPU. I only use 1080p on my TV though. Display 1 is connected through HDMI while Display 2 is VGA(to DVI). I was just screwing around and decided to change to 4K for a bit and my other monitor went off. I was thinking it wasn't too big of a deal because I would just switch back right? Wrong. The monitor stayed off and it still shows up in my display settings along with the extend option. One thing though is that all of the Scale and Layout section is greyed out. The problem is whenever I extend it changes to display 2 and turns off 1. Completely reversed. The option also changes to "Show only on 2" no matter how many times I click extend. I have to change it to "Show only on 1" for it to work on my main.

I tried restarting. I tried Ctrl+P and it does the same thing as when I hit in my options. I tried unplugging and changing ports to onboard along with more restarts in the process. All of my drivers are up to date. I made sure resolutions and refresh rates were the same. The monitors do duplicate btw I forgot to mention that. I don't have access to another cord since it uses VGA, but I used a DVI adapter with it along with straight VGA. I don't suspect the cord or the monitor itself since it still works fine, just by itself. I have many things plugged into my motherboard and GPU since I have VR along with other stuff, but I'm not sure if that would be a problem. I'm probably forgetting a few things I tried, but tbh I'm just sick of trying and I'm going to sleep as soon as this is posted. I'll wake up and see if anyone helps. Thanks in advance.

Right before I went to post this I tested it again and it no longer switches to my Display 2 whenever I hit extend. Display 1 just flashes and 2 stays off. When I click show only on 2 it works. Then it just repeats the same as usual. Whenever I hit extend, this time the opposite does nothing. I also forgot to say that I can't rearrange the displays at all. Here's an album of pictures and a GIF of what's happening. I really hope someone can help.

I also just realized I pressed "Show only on 2" at the start by accident in the GIF, but it does the same thing when I hit extend.

View: https://imgur.com/a/K4U2bSb

Microsoft Windows 10
MSI ATX DDR3 2400 LGA 1150 Z97
Intel Core i7-4790K @ 5.0 GHz
MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
16 GB DDR3
Thermaltake Toughpower 750W GOLD
2 TB HDD
1 TB SSD
256 GB SSD

Last edited:

FreshhCOX

Prominent
Jun 2, 2019
It took me 2 different ones before it worked
I was just about to edit that reply, but NEVER MIND AND THANK YOU IT WORKED. I didn't realize there were more settings to just straight up activate the other monitor. That link didn't work for me though, but I ended up finding it on Google. Thank you so much though.

Here's the link for people in the future maybe.