Sound Blaster AE-5 severe audio issues

21mamaluigi

Honorable
Dec 21, 2017
The audio that comes from my Sound Blaster X AE-5 will randomly begin to have a severe static overlay and in general just be severely distorted. This will happen often but sporadically return to normal for short periods of time. The drivers for it are up to date and from the Creative's website. I had this same problem but on a lesser scale with my previous Sound Blaster Z. Doesn't matter whether I'm in a game or watching a video, the issue arises all the same.

I use headphones, which are not the problem as the problem persists regardless of headphones or speakers used.

dinopht

Prominent
Oct 25, 2017
What are the bit rate and sample rate you have selected on Windows Sound?

I am also a user of the Sound BlasterX AE-5 but I selected 24/32 bit 48 kHz as the bit rate and sample rate.

Do you want to try to enable HPET on Windows to see if it helps?

You can enable HPET on Windows by running Command Prompt as an Administrator and entering the command "bcdedit /set useplatformclock true" and restarting the computer.

If enabling HPET on Windows does not help, you can disable it by running Command Prompt as an Administrator and entering the command "bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock" and restarting the computer.

Amitabha

21mamaluigi

Honorable
Dec 21, 2017

My Bitrate is 32 bit at 96khz.

I will enable HPET and see what happens

21mamaluigi

Honorable
Dec 21, 2017

Enabling HPET did not resolve the issue

Mar 12, 2019
Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but unfortunately I have recently run into the same issue...

I purchased my Sound BlasterX AE-5 a couple of months ago and everything was working absolutely amazing. I formatted my system, and after roughly a week while playing a game the audio did exactly as you described. It was heavily distorted, quieter, and it also seemed to have a little bit of reverb to it. I exit the game, test sound audio through multiple sources and still the same result.

Running the sound troubleshooter returns the result of "Audio format not set to default... Fixed". However, nothing has changed. The system always requires a restart in order to function properly. This is not game, audio, or headset specific.

I have to conclude 1. that this is a driver issue, as I believe it was a newer driver that was installed during my last format, or 2. This is a driver conflict issue, or 3.The hardware has a defect.

At this point I will format the system again. I will update this post on my progress with this issue. Hopefully we can get this fixed!

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

dinopht

Prominent
Oct 25, 2017

Enabling HPET did not resolve the issue

If you have the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver installed, you may want to try to uninstall it and see if it helps.

I got this from another user who owns the Sound BlasterX AE-5.

If uninstalling the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver does not help, you can install it again.

Last edited: