Question Sound Blaster Z SE - Microphone jack not working on the front panel ?

Oct 14, 2023
Hello there,

I am @Vikko151, a newbie in mechanic. I decided today to plug the front panel's sound jacks to my Sound Blaster Z card. Everything worked fine, but the microphone jack don't work.

I tried to verify that the connection wasn't bad, but it looks quite good; my sound works pretty well, but only the microphone has got a problem. Here's what I tried:

1. I tried to see if the microphone was detected in the old sound manager. The microphone isn't detected.

2. I tried to plug my headphones' microphone cable on the back panel. The microphone is working correctly, but my cable is too short.

3. I found many topics on the internet revolving about this problem. There weren't any answer to those topics, letting a chance that this is sadly impossible.

So, my question is: is it possible to fix that problem? If yes, how to proceed? (I know it's an old component, but okay.)

Thanks for your reply!

@Vikko151

Reactions: madaraosenpai

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I note on p. 4 of the card manual that you need a particular cable to connect that card's special Header #8 to the case's front panel sockets. I presume you have that. Then on p. 36 I see you must use the card's software utility to select which of three possible sockets is to be used for input - either mic or line in at the rear panel, or the front case socket. Did you select the case front socket when trying to use it? You can use only one of these three at a time.

Reactions: Vikko151
Oct 14, 2023
I note on p. 4 of the card manual that you need a particular cable to connect that card's special Header #8 to the case's front panel sockets. I presume you have that. Then on p. 36 I see you must use the card's software utility to select which of three possible sockets is to be used for input - either mic or line in at the rear panel, or the front case socket. Did you select the case front socket when trying to use it? You can use only one of these three at a time.
Hello @Paperdoc,

Sorry for my very late answer, I completely forgot this topic, and only saw your answer now. Whatever thanks! I forgot this:

Then on p. 36 I see you must use the card's software utility to select which of three possible sockets is to be used for input - either mic or line in at the rear panel, or the front case socket.

That's true. I never saw that there was a button making you able to switch between the card microphone and the front panel microphone.

Well, I am in a hurry, but thanks you very much for that.

@Vikko151