Sound Card Newbie, need advice

G

Hey I'm building my own PC for the first time and consequently, i know basically nothing about the sound cards out there right now. I have a TON of mp3's on my hard drive right now (which i'm gonna use in my new machine) and i use winamp and musicmatch to play these so obviously i don't want my songs to sound like crap. I'm mildly interested in sound in video games but i'm not into a big surround sound high-quality experience cuz my speakers aren't too great. Anyway, my main focus is playing and mixing my mp3's. So what card would you guys recommend that would sound good but is still below the $70 range? I know that could be a bit much 2 ask but i really don't have a lot of financial resources so i have to stay in a budget. Anyway I'll stop rambling now and I thank you in advace for any replies they will really be appreciated.

---matt

---matt

G

Lots of people suggest the Philips Acustic Edge or Turtle Beach Santa Cruz.

<font color=blue>Your Mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take effect. Restart Now? [OK]</font color=blue>

DISTURBED

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
I'm in the same situation as you. I want to get the Fortissimo 2 but I think it's more geared towards the gamer or wait for the Creative Audigy series (September)...anyways, please tells us what card you end up getting.

-Thanks

G

I dont know if any of you guys heard of it, but I've been looking for a Zoltrix Nightingale Pro 6 sound card for quite some time know. I posted a similar question a while ago asking if anyone new where to get one, since the manufacturer is somewhere in Asia (Taiwan I think), and I havent seen any online store that sells one. I've read some great reviews on this card, able to compete with S.B. Live x-gamer and mp3, santa cruz, and philips. Best of all, its suppose to retail around 40 dollars.
But till now, I dont know where to get one!!!
If anyone else has luck, please let me know!!

<font color=blue>Your Mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take effect. Restart Now? [OK]</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Zoltrix is a wierd company to find products from. First thier there, then they aren't. Find out what sound chip they use and buy a different card with the same sound chip.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
If you go to Compuplus.com, you can get a Soundblaster Live Value for under the price you are asking for.

If it works for you then don't fix it.