Sound Cards 101

mawfia

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2001
So far i think the general conception is thate less money can be paid for better sound than what creativelabs offers? Not quite sure though. Well, anyway im am going to order the Klipsh Promedia5.1s and i dont want to blow my listening experience to high heaven (if you know what i mean) because i bought a sub-par sound card. Im am not a sound person (meaning im not a sound expert) so when you say frequency, distortion, etc...is the most important thing about sound quality, i dont really know what you are talking about.

The bottom line is i want the best sound experience and im not necessarily buying into this supposed Audigy hype. All i really want is a sound card worthy of my spending 400 dollars on computer speakers.

!!!So please give me your recommendations and keep in mind im half way through getting my degree in Computer Science not half way through getting my Phd in sound card quality!!!

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
If you're looking for good sound

1) Phillips Acoustic Edge
2) Hercules Fortissimo II
3) (somthing) Game Theater XP
4) Turtle Beach Santa Cruz (or Sonic Fury in Euro)

$60, $40, $100, $70, respectively in US.

<font color=blue>I hacked Msft, and all I got was this lousy source code.....</font color=blue>

FatBurger

Illustrious
I'm a semi-professional live sound engineer, and I just ordered a Hercules Game Theatre XP, if that helps any.

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Yeah, but you're *deaf*, so what does it matter?

Hunh? Hunh? Hunh?

<font color=blue>I hacked Msft, and all I got was this lousy source code.....</font color=blue>

FatBurger

Illustrious
I am?
Let me ask you a question...how much difference is there between #3 and #4 (Game Theatre XP & Santa Cruz).
Also, why did you rate the Fortissimo II over those?
And, why is the Acoustic Edge at #1? (I don't like the sound very much).

I know you're joking, but I'm still curious.

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>