Sound doesnt work after clean windows 7 installation

Oct 7, 2018
i did a fresh installation of windows 7 in my asus n53sv and everything worked fine after installing the drivers from the asus website until i noticed i have no sound, it says there isnt an output audio device connected. I tried to update drivers, reinstall drivers, unninstall and restart the system, everything and it didnt work. after that i did a dual boot with linux mint and when i booted into linux mint the sound was working perfectly so i guess it isnt an hardware problem. pls help me im getting desperate. Couldnt find anything useful in the internet, nothing works.
Oh, in device manager there isnt a sound, video and game controllers tab, there is a High Definition Audio Driver with a yellow exclamation mark on it under system devices tab

Mugsy

Distinguished
May 12, 2004

I've had this problem before. It's usually because the sound device is dependent on another interface driver that must be installed first.

You didn't mention if you are trying to use onboard audio or an addon card. But since you didn't mention any card not being detected in the Device Manager, I'll assume it's on-board audio.

First, the obvious: Make sure all other onboard device drivers are working properly. (No yellow "!" warnings in the DM.) If so, your fix is obvious, quick & painless.

If not, my first suspicion is you have a non-standard device driver installed somewhere that's preventing the audio device from being recognized. But since you got them all from Asus and for your MoBo, they should be okay (but that's not always the case.)

Since Linux uses it's own drivers, this is clearly a driver issue. I rarely recommend this, but try a good "Driver Update" tool such as IObit's "Driver Booster". Usually, these apps do more harm than good, but since you have little to loose at this point (a fresh install), you might try it to see if it finds newer versions of any drivers that might resolve the issue.

If you're concerned, back up your C: drive first.