Question Sound is glitchy and cutting in and out

Feb 5, 2024
The audio on my computer beeps, rings, and compresses before cutting out, and will cut back in randomly. In addition, my USB microphone worked for a day but no longer works. I know that it is picking up sound because of its configuration, but Discord and in-game chats do not pick up any signal. This is a fresh built PC, so this problem did not happen at random one day, it has been consistent since day 1.

Troubleshooting I have tried:
Editing Audio in/out
Restarting computer
Reinstalling Drivers(with GeForce, Device Manager, Realtek website, DDU)
Tried different headphones and speakers
Used line out on motherboard and on case
Ran audio through GPU via HDMI
Used an external sound card
Reinstalled windows
Unplugged and replugged "HD Audio" power supply cable
Disabled and Reenabled HD Audio controller in the BIOS
Disabled TPM in the BIOS
Moved RAM to new slots
New RAM sticks

Computer Specs:
MSI B550 Gen3 Gaming
Ryzen 5 5600X
RTX 4060
2x16 Corsair Vengeance RAM(slotted 1 and 3)
1TB WD NVMe
2TB Samsung 870 EVO

This problem has stumped me and everyone I know with more knowledge. I desperately need this to start working.

EDIT: I switched to a Asus ROG B550-F Wifi II motherboard and have the same issues. The weirdest part is that my external sound card should, in theory, bypass everything. I tried moving back to windows 11 and had the same issue.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU. As for your audio, issue, did you manually install all relevant drivers for your platform in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?

Reinstalled windows
Where did you source the installer for the OS? Installed the OS in offline mode?

Reinstalling Drivers(with GeForce, Device Manager, Realtek website, DDU)
Use DDU to remove all GPU drivers(Intel, AMD and Nvidia) and Realtek audio. When reinstalling source the latest driver from Nvidia's support site and the latest audio driver from your motherboard's support site.

What is your audio equipment and how are they tethered to your platform? BIOS version for your motherboard?

Feb 5, 2024
PSU: Apevia ATX-GX650W Galaxy
BIOS version: 7B86vP6(most recent)

I have not run them as administrator yet

I have an authentic Windows 11 boot drive it won’t let me install offline, it’s online only

I’ve done all steps with DDU

Speakers are Edififier R1280DB, hooked in through center line out on the motherboard
I’ve also used the speakers on my Sceptre F27 monitors and their headphone jack
Headphones are KZ IEMs and Audio-Technica AT-M20X. I’ve tried these through line out on the back and front of the case, as well as the output jack on my microphone(which plays back the mic audio perfectly but glitches on the windows audio)

One thing I see is ram is in wrong slots.
Needs to be in slots 2 and 4 to run off main memory channel.
Check windows Sound settings.
Make sure it is set to Stereo . Your board is capable of up to 7.1 playback, but you are only using stereo speakers.
And I would replace that power supply as soon as possible with a QUALITY unit. Apevia is about as cheap/garbage as you can get.

just a few points of clarification:
What external sound card did you try?

Is there any sort of consistency to when the audio goes out? (what I mean here is it when there's CPU load, GPU load, both, or during certain types of programs etc)

It definitely seems like some sort of hardware problem, but it also seems like you've ruled out a lot of the hardware. You could try running LatencyMon and when the audio issues happen see if it picks up anything.

The mic problem could be related to the way windows reassigns audio devices. I'd suggest disabling everything regarding audio which isn't actively being used and going through the audio setup.

Feb 5, 2024
One thing I see is ram is in wrong slots.
Needs to be in slots 2 and 4 to run off main memory channel.
Check windows Sound settings.
Make sure it is set to Stereo . Your board is capable of up to 7.1 playback, but you are only using stereo speakers.
And I would replace that power supply as soon as possible with a QUALITY unit. Apevia is about as cheap/garbage as you can get.
I've tried ram in all configurations, and with either stick.

How does the power supply brand make that big of a difference? I was told power is power as long as its enough wattage.

Feb 5, 2024
just a few points of clarification:
What external sound card did you try?

Is there any sort of consistency to when the audio goes out? (what I mean here is it when there's CPU load, GPU load, both, or during certain types of programs etc)

It definitely seems like some sort of hardware problem, but it also seems like you've ruled out a lot of the hardware. You could try running LatencyMon and when the audio issues happen see if it picks up anything.

The mic problem could be related to the way windows reassigns audio devices. I'd suggest disabling everything regarding audio which isn't actively being used and going through the audio setup.
Disabling did not help and it is not related to any latency