[SOLVED] Sound low on new PC

Dylan_

Honorable
Sep 19, 2015
Not sure where to put this, but yeah, my sound of my new PC is low compared to my old PC. I have everything max, sound control panel, volume mixer etc. Everything is max and legit I could listen to music all day full blast on this PC and it's not loud. It's just honestly a normal level of volume instead of being loud. Idk what could be the issue, I'm thinking it's the motherboard but idk. Any ideas?

Solution
Just want to be clear, this did not solve my issue. Still can't find out why I can't get sound to basically blast my ears like my old PC would (same headset).

What headphones are you using?

The ALC892 codec, which I gather your mobo has, doesn't support high impedance headphones very well at all (above 200 ohms) resulting in low volume sound. The solution would be to get a separate DAC or audio amp that supports high impedance 'phones.

You can get really decent USB DAC's that are very affordable. Just plug in the USB cable, Windows will install the drivers and you're off. With an appropriate cable you can also attach to the SPDI/F port and get clean digital audio from the ALC892. That will let you use its DSP and...

Kvlt Doom

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
This is gonna sound stupid & seem patronizing, but it's not meant to.

Are you actually plugging the headset into the headphone input? Cause I built a new system (without color coded inputs, yay) & not only did I initially reverse the sub/center channel & surrounds for the speaker outs, but the damn headphone & line-in jacks at the front of my new case were reversed! I plugged in headphones, they were stupidly low & had interference & <Mod Edit>, so I just plugged them into my speakers. Found out later that I was plugged into the Line-In instead of the headphone jack.

If that isn't the issue, my next suggestion is to make sure that your connections are all tight & that none of the wires are loose. Unplug the audio connector at the motherboard & make sure the pins are clean & not bent or broke off & that the leads are secure in the little plastic connector (a missing or loose pin-out can ruin your day) & make sure the connector properly aligns.
Looking at your mobo schematic, there will be a blank pin-space on the male connector on the mobo at the top row of pins, second to last from the rear of the board. Likewise, there will be a corresponding blank (no pin hole) slot on the plug at the end of the wire. It's sometimes possible to plug the Audio cable in upside down, despite being "Keyed." It looks to be labelled "JAUD1" & it's the bottom most interconnect on the board.

If none of that solves the problem, I would get a can of DeOxIt. WITH THE SYSTEM OFF & UNPLUGGED, use the straw to give the jacks a shot of DeOxIt, wait a second then work the connector in & out once to break up any deposits, remove the connector & give the inputs a final shot, after which you make your connections & put the DeOxIt away, giving it enough time to dissipate before firing the equipment up.<Mod Edit> works. It's a measured shot, so there's little chance of using too much. Just make sure you keep the straw inserted into the jack a little bit so it doesn't slip out & douche your system or your case or whatever.

Hope it helps & if it doesn't, I apologize. With no mention as to what your last mobo was, we don't know if the two PC's boards were running different audio codecs or what. FWIW, that board is outfitted with a Realtek® ALC892 Codec, which according to numerous reports, kinda sucks balls. My own ears agree with the assessment regarding the gargling of the danglers & would add that they might even belong to a monkey. Either way, I made sure to get a mobo with at least an ALC1220 Audio Codec and I'm glad I did. It's a noticeable improvement that sounds much better than the ALC892. It's not on the same level as having a dedicated sound card, but it's pretty damn good. Good luck, buddy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kvlt Doom

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
Just checked & noticed there is an updated Audio Driver, recommended for Windows 10 RS3 & later that was Released January 16, 2020. Realtek HD Universal Driver Version 6.0.8858.1.

If you have Windows 10 RS2 or earlier, they suggest the Realtek High Definition Audio Driver Version 6.0.1.8703 Released June 3, 2019.

Dylan_

Honorable
Sep 19, 2015
Just checked & noticed there is an updated Audio Driver, recommended for Windows 10 RS3 & later that was Released January 16, 2020. Realtek HD Universal Driver Version 6.0.8858.1.

If you have Windows 10 RS2 or earlier, they suggest the Realtek High Definition Audio Driver Version 6.0.1.8703 Released June 3, 2019.
I can't find this January driver update.

EDIT: Found it through my motherboards support.

Last edited:

noel_prg_la1979

Honorable
Jan 29, 2018
Not sure where to put this, but yeah, my sound of my new PC is low compared to my old PC. I have everything max, sound control panel, volume mixer etc. Everything is max and legit I could listen to music all day full blast on this PC and it's not loud. It's just honestly a normal level of volume instead of being loud. Idk what could be the issue, I'm thinking it's the motherboard but idk. Any ideas?

what are the specs of your old PC?

when installing the "Realtek HD Universal Driver Version 6.0.8858.1" package, you need to install it from running the setup.exe file and not thru Device Manager.

Note that the 6.0.8858.1 driver is in the newer Universal Audio Driver (UAD) format, which is different from the traditional or legacy HDA (high definition audio) driver like the 6.0.8703.1 version. Also the Realtek "Universal" HD audio 6.0.8858.1 driver requires the Realtek Audio Console downloaded from the Microsoft Store (MSI lists that app as "Realtek Audio Control" in the Utility section for the Driver downloads for the B450 Tomahawk Max board)

Install the 6.0.8858.1 UAD driver first, reboot and then download the Realtek Audio Control app from the MS store and from that app you can control audio options for your speakers & headphones

Just want to be clear, this did not solve my issue. Still can't find out why I can't get sound to basically blast my ears like my old PC would (same headset).

What headphones are you using?

The ALC892 codec, which I gather your mobo has, doesn't support high impedance headphones very well at all (above 200 ohms) resulting in low volume sound. The solution would be to get a separate DAC or audio amp that supports high impedance 'phones.

You can get really decent USB DAC's that are very affordable. Just plug in the USB cable, Windows will install the drivers and you're off. With an appropriate cable you can also attach to the SPDI/F port and get clean digital audio from the ALC892. That will let you use its DSP and utilities to 'color' the sound as you wish.

Even if you don't have high impedance 'phones you'll probably appreciate how much cleaner and distortion free the DAC sound is. I definitely do. The difference is due to the analog audio never being being exposed to all the high-level EMI present inside the computer case.

Last edited:
Solution

TRENDING THREADS