Soundblaster 5.1 and Windows ME

G

Yesterday I did a clean install of Windows ME (I tried the "upgrade method but pc got stuck half way) and everything seemed just fine. I tried to play a game and found that there was no sound, so I had a look at the "system " folder and found my soundcard was not installed ( I have a Creativelabs SoundBlaster Live Platinum 5.1). I had a look at their website and found that I already have the most up to date drivers ( liveware 3.0) on the CD rom supplied with the soundcard. I went ahead and installed them from the cd. Upon reboot there was a blue screen with a VXD error and now it is not even possible to boot up in save mode and uninstall the SoundBlaster drivers. What should I do, reformat and stick with Windows 98 or is this a known problem with Windows ME. I have had a look in the Microsoft Knowledge base ,saw some people had the same problem but there was no solution to the problem yet. My soundcard is realatively mainstream so I suppose other people must have this problem too. Do you think it wil help if I pull out the soundcard and try to bootup, maybe I can get into save mode and remove the soundblaster drivers that way.
Anyone already know the solution to this one? Please let me know

G

Yup. Go into safe mode and remove ALL instances of
the drivers. Creative has NEW drivers specifically
written for WinME. Maybe that will help...

G

I have had a look at the Creative Labs website and the last update for for the Soundblaster Live Platinum 5.1(Windows ME) was at 10/11/00. It also states in their Note:
"This update is not applicable for users using Sound Blaster Live! 5.1"
So if you have found some new drivers that I do not know about please let me know (please paste the link to the page in your reply that would help).

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think I read somewhere that you can't use the current downloads of liveware 3 or the SB Live drivers with the newer 5.1 cards. I think Creative said that the WinME drivers for the 5.1 cards are on the CD and it is not necessary to download anything.
Try the newsgroups, the people in there see to know a lot.
news.creativelabs.com
Pick the SBLive group.

Welcome to the world of Creative Labs and start getting acustomed to confusion and crappy support.

TRENDING THREADS