sp1/sp2

RonJ

My 8400 arrived with XP Pro SP1 installed. Was looking at the CD's
and the OS one says "ALL READY INSTALLED ON YOUR COMPUTER". It then
goes on to say Reinstallation CD - MS Windows XP Professional
Including Service Pack 2. SP2 isn't separate on the CD, it's part of
the OS.

If I use this CD to get SP2, is going to wipeout everything that DELL
has pre-loaded and that I've loaded?

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

wiping out everything dell has preloaded could be good in many cases....LOL

"RonJ" <ronj@renc.igs.net> wrote in message
> My 8400 arrived with XP Pro SP1 installed. Was looking at the CD's
> and the OS one says "ALL READY INSTALLED ON YOUR COMPUTER". It then
> goes on to say Reinstallation CD - MS Windows XP Professional
> Including Service Pack 2. SP2 isn't separate on the CD, it's part of
> the OS.
>
> If I use this CD to get SP2, is going to wipeout everything that DELL
> has pre-loaded and that I've loaded?

LOL..so true, Oh so true. I have yet to keep a system as delivered.

Regards,
John O.

"tony" <aarcuda@cox.net.spam> wrote in message
> wiping out everything dell has preloaded could be good in many
> cases....LOL
>

> "RonJ" <ronj@renc.igs.net> wrote in message
>> My 8400 arrived with XP Pro SP1 installed. Was looking at the CD's
>> and the OS one says "ALL READY INSTALLED ON YOUR COMPUTER". It then
>> goes on to say Reinstallation CD - MS Windows XP Professional
>> Including Service Pack 2. SP2 isn't separate on the CD, it's part of
>> the OS.
>>
>> If I use this CD to get SP2, is going to wipeout everything that DELL
>> has pre-loaded and that I've loaded?

not if you do a repair reinstall. better to just use Windows update though.

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 17:26:13 -0400, "JJO" <jjo@nospam.ca> wrote:

>LOL..so true, Oh so true. I have yet to keep a system as delivered.
>
>Regards,
>John O.

You guys have that right!! After removing stuff like WordPerfect, AOL
and the rest of the "free" fillers, I may as well have done a complete
format and started from scratch. Too much of my own stuff on now,
I've asked MS to send me the SP2 CD.