Question Speaker Selector not Selecting

xfile102

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
Bought an impedance matching speaker selector from Monoprice, the SSPRO8. No matter what we do, we cannot turn off specific speakers. In fact, unless you disconnect it from the receiver or turn the receiver off, you cannot stop audio. If it’s connected, it’s playing. Even selecting the A or B channel has no effect on audio. The receiver is a Sony, 5 outdoor speakers. 4 Klipsch Rock speakers, 1 KLH outdoor speaker. #20182651

kanewolf

Titan
Bought an impedance matching speaker selector from Monoprice, the SSPRO8. No matter what we do, we cannot turn off specific speakers. In fact, unless you disconnect it from the receiver or turn the receiver off, you cannot stop audio. If it’s connected, it’s playing. Even selecting the A or B channel has no effect on audio. The receiver is a Sony, 5 outdoor speakers. 4 Klipsch Rock speakers, 1 KLH outdoor speaker. #20182651
Since there is a selector switch on the back of the SS-PRO-8, do you have it set to the correct number of pairs of speakers?
Do you have this setup as 3 "pairs" or 5 "pairs" ?

xfile102

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
Checked everything. It was on 3-4, must have been switched during setup on accident. We originally had it on 5. Interesting twist.
Each speaker is wired individually to the rear jacks, numbered 1-5.

Step 1: Turned ALL speakers off
Step 2: Turned on 1: Speaker 1 Turned On. Turned it off.
Step 3: Turned on 2: Speaker 2 Turned on. Turned it off.
Step 4: Turned on 3: ALL SPEAKERS CAME ON. Turned Off.
Step 5: Turned on 4: ALL SPEAKERS CAME ON. Turned Off.
Step 6: Turned on 5: ALL SPEAKERS CAME ON. Turned Off.

This makes no sense to me.

kanewolf

Titan
Checked everything. It was on 3-4, must have been switched during setup on accident. We originally had it on 5. Interesting twist.
Each speaker is wired individually to the rear jacks, numbered 1-5.

Step 1: Turned ALL speakers off
Step 2: Turned on 1: Speaker 1 Turned On. Turned it off.
Step 3: Turned on 2: Speaker 2 Turned on. Turned it off.
Step 4: Turned on 3: ALL SPEAKERS CAME ON. Turned Off.
Step 5: Turned on 4: ALL SPEAKERS CAME ON. Turned Off.
Step 6: Turned on 5: ALL SPEAKERS CAME ON. Turned Off.

This makes no sense to me.
Sounds like it is time to contact monoprice for an RMA if possible.

kanewolf

Titan
So.. we hooked up a smaller unit that only does 5 speakers. Same issue.
Swap the speaker connection order and see if it follows some speaker. Number the wires 1 - 5 then try swapping 1/3, test and reset. Then swap 1/4, etc.
If position 1 works normally then disconnect 3, 4, 5. Then connect them one at a time. See what happens. It is obviously something outside the switch.

xfile102

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
Swap the speaker connection order and see if it follows some speaker. Number the wires 1 - 5 then try swapping 1/3, test and reset. Then swap 1/4, etc.
If position 1 works normally then disconnect 3, 4, 5. Then connect them one at a time. See what happens. It is obviously something outside the switch.

Came through and tested this. Now, Every single speaker works, and will turn on and off with the selector. However you have to crank the receiver up to almost max volume to hear any of the speakers. And they have a terrible sound to them. It almost sounds like the speakers are blown, but I’m not entirely sure. This receiver maxes out at 70 and you can’t really hear the speakers till you hit 60 to 63. Once you hit 70 it automatically goes into protect mode. Recorded a video of the speakers to demonstrate..
View: https://youtu.be/TCnzpABF1-E

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
Came through and tested this. Now, Every single speaker works, and will turn on and off with the selector. However you have to crank the receiver up to almost max volume to hear any of the speakers. And they have a terrible sound to them. It almost sounds like the speakers are blown, but I’m not entirely sure. This receiver maxes out at 70 and you can’t really hear the speakers till you hit 60 to 63. Once you hit 70 it automatically goes into protect mode. Recorded a video of the speakers to demonstrate..
View: https://youtu.be/TCnzpABF1-E

View: https://youtu.be/noodRyGAqJ4
I am at the end of the assistance I can provide without hands-on/eyes-on. Sorry.