Question Speakers not working

LTL428

Prominent
Feb 14, 2022
So I have this old laptop (HP elitebook 2740p) And recently a few days ago the speakers just stopped working. I've reinstalled windows, did system restores, reinstalled the audio driver several times... and nothing has worked. I'm assuming it's a hardware issue, but the speakers are completely recognized by windows, and they say that they do work. So can someone tell me what they think the problem is?

LTL428

Prominent
Feb 14, 2022
Did you open the system and check the speaker wires. They are pretty easy to see. Do external speakers and headphones work?
Remember that this is a laptop. This would be a lot easier to do on a PC, which I know how to do. I don't have external speakers, and the audio jack is fine. All I need to know is how I can access the connector/ header for the speaker so I can check if the cable came lose or detached.

Remember that this is a laptop. This would be a lot easier to do on a PC, which I know how to do. I don't have external speakers, and the audio jack is fine. All I need to know is how I can access the connector/ header for the speaker so I can check if the cable came lose or detached.

Yes it's a laptop, but you still need to look at the connectors, open the case and see, they are pretty obvious inside. When you say the audio jack is fine, that means it works or it just looks OK? If you test it with speakers or headphones does not matter, you just need to make sure that the audio in general works on the system and the issue is specifically with the built in speakers.