Question Spectrum 5G not working but 2.4G is fine.

dota2er

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013
After last night my 5Ghz internet is no longer available to connect. The 2.4Ghz is still working but too slow than usual.

kanewolf

Titan
After last night my 5Ghz internet is no longer available to connect. The 2.4Ghz is still working but too slow than usual.
Best guess is that your router chose a channel automatically that your device doesn't like. The allowable channels for 5Ghz WIFI differ in different countries. A hardware vendor may choose a limited set of supported channels to avoid having to create country (or region) specific drivers.

dota2er

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013
Best guess is that your router chose a channel automatically that your device doesn't like. The allowable channels for 5Ghz WIFI differ in different countries. A hardware vendor may choose a limited set of supported channels to avoid having to create country (or region) specific drivers.
The 5GHz was usable before yesterday night, but something went wrong for no reason and the 5GHz become unavailable suddenly till now.

dota2er

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013
Have you restarted the modem/wifi router? ie - pull the power cord for a full minute and then plug it back in?
Should I restart both router and modem together, my roommate is afraid of after rebooting, our internet ganna become inactive; especially during coronavirus Spectrum is mostly likely not ganna helping.

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks. But it doesn't have the number you list. The 5G channels are 149, 153, 157 and 161.
That is is interesting. The chnanels around 40 are allowed world wide. I have never seen a router that didn't support them.
The 149 to 161 channels SHOULD work. They are allowable most place.
Do other devices connect to the 5Ghz WIFI OK or are all devices having problems?

Nov 7, 2021
Go into the router and manually change the 5Ghz channel to 36 or 42. Some channel around 40. See if that fixes it.

Thank you for this. I have been having this issue for months. Reboot of modem and router worked for half an hour, but then problem arose again. Searched and searched and searched but didn't find this solution until today. Worked like a charm!