Question Speed up loading DVD with hughe numbers of files that contains totally new unknown icons for windows

Mar 28, 2021
First this:
To speed-up windows, it caches all the new icons it ever loaded by the first time.
So when Windows has to display these icons again it does not read from the original file anymore, but reads only from the Icon-Cache-File within windows itself. This way it is fast.

The Icon-Cache-File has a maximum size. If the cache file is full, windows will delete cached icons after closing the explorer.
Every time when windows have to display these icons again, it has to read from their original files again, and that slows down. If the list is long it can take a while.
You can alter the cache size to a bigger size manually or by hacks, so that problem will be solved.

But 1 thing always remains !!!!!!
Every time a NEW ICON has to be displayed, windows must always read its content from the original file itself.
(after that it will be cached if there is enough space within the windows cache size file)

But what happens when you enter a CD/DVD/USB-Drive that contains folders with hughe numbers of files that contains totally new unknown icons for windows ??
All the contents of these icons have to be read from its original file for the first time.
This turns your CD/DVD into a Matrix-Printer sounding machine, and its Read-Head is going from left to the right and over again, like a million times.
Also on any other computer you want to use this CD/DVD.
I have times that the CD/DVD Drive takes like 20min to display all new icons from the file list in the folder.
Same thing happens with a USB Drive/Stick, but its some faster. Although you can see the delay from appearing icons on the screen one by one.

My question IS NOT about Cache-Repair Cache-Rebuild Cache-Size Cache-Speed etc.......

My question is about a trick to upload these icons into the Windows Icon-Cache-File before displaying them.
It's the first thing that must happen when you enter the CD/DVD into the player, and it is spinning up.
A File/Folder should be present on the disk containing all copy's of the Icons, so it can be automatically uploaded to the Windows-Icon-Cache-File in 1 time.
After these Brand New Icons (unknown for windows) has been updated to the windows Cache-File, explorer can display the files in the folder together with all the icons.

How can I make some kind of loader on a DVD-Disk (4,7GB) that automatically upload a copy of all icons into the Windows Icon-Cache-File ????

Mar 28, 2021
It is like it is. Files on DVD are safe for any changes and viruses. I'm going to do it this way.
I just ask how i should do that.
I think by some kind of script or loader on the disk itself.

Mar 28, 2021
yes, like an automatic loader. But these icon files are separate copies placed together in a folder, or just some kind of file that can be uploaded to the cache.
This must be on the root of the disk.

USAFRet

Titan
yes, like an automatic loader. But these icon files are seperate copies placed together in a folder, or just some kind of file that can be uploaded to the cache.
But they need to be read from the CD/DVD anyway, right?

So the CD/DVD needs to be put in the PC.

So the very first time these new unknown icons are presented to the PC, they are read from the CD/DVD, and get written to the cache. Correct?

After that, those things exist in the cache for the next time.
And are as fast as reading any other icon.

I am still befuddled as to where any speed improvement could happen.

Mar 28, 2021
What ? befuddled ? Is'nt it clear ?
So the very first time these new unknown icons are presented to the PC, they are read from the CD/DVD, and get written to the cache. Correct?
A copy of all the icons is also in the loader itself.
The icons of the original program files are not read at all, at any time.

Mar 28, 2021
That is why the first time it takes SOOOO long.
Even a slow USB-Stick is showing the same problem, because the technic behind it is still the same.
USB stick is still faster then a CD/DVD, but you can see how it works.
Everything wil be loaded one by one.
So a CD/DVD is doing the same thing. That takes hours.
But Burning CD/DVD/BD is my way of secure archiving, and bullet proof.
By the way i always burn twice with different brands of disks.

I had some disks long time ago with much programs in many folders, and thay load very quick.
They belong to a monthly computer magazine.
But its so long ago. I wish i still had them so i could investigate the disk how its done.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2021
So i mean some kind of loader that includes a copy of all the icons in a folder or maybe just archived in 1 file.
This loader is on the ROOT of the disk.
The loader will execute at first when loading the disk.
Then automatic update the Windows Icon Cache File.
-----
After that is done you can open explorer and open the folders when windows is loading the icons from its own cache file.

That is the idea.

But maybe the loader can not update the windows cache file.
Maybe the loader create its own virtual icon cache file.

Its just an idea - i don't know what is really possible. Just breaking my head here.....

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
What you are actually talking about is Windows Disk Indexing feature. its not JUST the icons that is causing your slowdown, its Windows indexing the drive for speed. You CAN disable that feature on a drive by right clicking and hitting properties, its on the first tab. That should speed up the initial load, at the expense of speed while navigating.

Otherwise what you're asking for is to re-engineer how Windows indexing works, by providing it with an Index file, that it will recognize on the disc. Windows just doesn't work like that. Part of it is security, as that would mean Windows needs to trust that index file and that no other files would be on the drive/disc.

There is a reason this doesn't work like that, and while your solution seems sound, its not. Aside from it also being impossible.

Mar 28, 2021
whoo, aha, i get it, hmm.
Okay i wil look what happens when i close the Windows Disk Indexing feature .
Thanks a lot.

So, if i still want it to fast load, i have to build my own Startup menu on the disk itself.
That could be a option but also loads of work.
In the past i did something with Basic, Qbasic, C++, PHP but just beginner stuff.
Maybe its to much for me to try to make that disk menu happen. (i mean even to get it to work)

A few years ago i try to figure that out but i lag that kind of experience.
I wish there would be a program that create an automated loading disk menu.
It would be a wonderfull thing if you only could input the Files, Thumbnails, Images, Descriptions, etc.

But does it exist ??

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
whoo, aha, i get it, hmm.
Okay i wil look what happens when i close the Windows Disk Indexing feature .
Thanks a lot.

So, if i still want it to fast load, i have to build my own Startup menu on the disk itself.
That could be a option but also loads of work.
In the past i did something with Basic, Qbasic, C++, PHP but just beginner stuff.
Maybe its to much for me to try to make that disk menu happen. (i mean even to get it to work)

A few years ago i try to figure that out but i lag that kind of experience.
I wish there would be a program that create an automated loading disk menu.
It would be a wonderfull thing if you only could input the Files, Thumbnails, Images, Descriptions, etc.

But does it exist ??

When you turn off Indexing it will start faster but as you traverse the drive it needs to load the contents each time, which is slower. So you either pay for it now, or pay for it later.

As for building a "startup menu" no thats not what I said. You would need to build a disc Index file, and have windows able to read it into its Indexing feature and trust it. This would require a re-engineering of how Windows Indexing works. A beginning programmer is not doing this. Heck an advanced programmer isn't doing this.

It doesn't exist, and its not happening.

USAFRet

Titan
In addition to rewriting how Windows indexing works (not happening)...

"It would be a wonderfull thing if you only could input the Files, Thumbnails, Images, Descriptions, etc. "

This would be a manual input for the contents of the drive?
Which would still be read from the DVD.

Mar 28, 2021
In the mean time i tryed something. :unsure:
  • Extract all icons from program files and create a zip-file.
  • Create a folder with all the program files.
  • Burn them (1+2) on the ROOT of a 4.7GB DVD.
  • Delete the Icon cache file by some .bat file.
  • Restart windows.
  • insert de DVD and open the program folder - as aspected the head is working its ass of to read all icons from DVD. I abort.
  • Next i unpack the zip file with all icons on the desktop - open the icon folder - and scroll to the bottom. Now i think windows have updated the icon cache file.
  • So now everything should be in order when i try to open the program folder on the DVD, it should be loaded immediately....... HELL NO !!!! ----....... o_O💩
  • The same thing happen as before, there is no change. Al the icons are still read from the files on the DVD.
Nice try..... not working. :sad:

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 28, 2021
This would be a manual input for the contents of the drive?
Which would still be read from the DVD.
Its still a difference if a disk loader needs 4/15 seconds of time to build up de disk menu - and a folder that is read by windows and needs like 20min.
Yeh let it read from DVD!!!!!

About manual input: Why would that be a problem to make something that works.
In the future you only have to make little changes if you want to add something.

Its still bugging me why it did not work.
Seems that the origine of the file is also included.

Mar 28, 2021
I'm trying to find a way to get it done some how.
Also i try some burn software, and nothing helps. (also nero 2019 - poweriso 7.7)
I don't want to copy a zipfile containing like 5GB to a desktop-pc every time.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
In the mean time i tryed something. :unsure:
  • Extract all icons from program files and create a zip-file.
  • Create a folder with all the program files.
  • Burn them (1+2) on the ROOT of a 4.7GB DVD.
  • Delete the Icon cache file by some .bat file.
  • Restart windows.
  • insert de DVD and open the program folder - as aspected the head is working its ass of to read all icons from DVD. I abort.
  • Next i unpack the zip file with all icons on the desktop - open the icon folder - and scroll to the bottom. Now i think windows have updated the icon cache file.
  • So now everything should be in order when i try to open the program folder on the DVD, it should be loaded immediately....... HELL NO !!!! ----....... o_O💩
  • The same thing happen as before, there is no change. Al the icons are still read from the files on the DVD.
Nice try..... not working. :sad:

Again,

This is not just the Icon cache file, this is Windows indexing the drive. You can do this till you're blue in the face, you're not changing how Windows works.

Mar 28, 2021
okay......
uhm indexing is shutt off.
No difference here, still the same.
So nothing helps

indexing is shutt off:
  1. I even burn a DVD with a folder of all the icons.
  2. Then i delete the icon cache again. Restart Windows.
  3. Load the DVD with the icons-folder and open it, scroll to the bottom. Then i take it out. (reading is pretty fast because the files are located together this time, the read-head is not making that matrix sound)
  4. I insert the DVD with the program-folder, open it, oops still the same -----, read-head is like a matrix printer again.
--------------------------------
  1. So the i burn a new Program-DVD incl the folder with all the icons on it.
  3. Insert the DVD and open the icons-folder at first, scroll to the bottom. (same fast reading as before) Close folder.
  4. Open the programm folder, oops still the same -----, read-head is like a matrix printer again.
Nothing works...

Last edited by a moderator:

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
okay......
uhm indexing is shutt off.
No difference here, still the same.
So nothing helps

indexing is shutt off:
  1. I even burn a DVD with a folder of all the icons.
  3. Load the DVD with the icons-folder and open it, scroll to the bottom. Then i take it out. (reading is pretty fast because the files are located together this time, the read-head is not making that matrix sound)
  4. I insert the DVD with the program-folder, open it, oops still the same -----, read-head is like a matrix printer again.
--------------------------------
  1. So the i burn a new Program-DVD incl the folder with all the icons on it.
  3. Insert the DVD and open the icons-folder at first, scroll to the bottom. (same fast reading as before) Close folder.
  4. Open the programm folder, oops still the same -----, read-head is like a matrix printer again.
Nothing works...

I think your problem is also the fact its a DVD, its gonna be slow either way, index on or off.

Can you please stop with the profanity, even your "edited" versions are unacceptasble.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I didn't hear that rogue.
For me, i'm already irritated by USAFRet and his stupid reaction/questions.
I think i was clear from the beginning.

Problem is: this way of answere and questioning he paint people the way he want others to see them.
Like i'm nuts i my head, or don't know what i'm talking about, or doing everyting wrong.
Thats the problem with moderators - they have level.....

----------------------

It seems to me that almost every possibility is tried out, but maybe there is one more option.
Like i say before:

So its no problem if all icons are located together in 1 folder (or space on the disk)

The only thing i can come up with is the program thats burning the disk.
But i already tried Nero 2019 and PowerISO 7.7

Again, this is how Windows Indexing works, if you move the folders and hence less to index it takes less time.

You're not changing how Windows indexing works.

Now on to something else. DO NOT personally attack other members or moderators. You may not like his answers, thats fine, then ignore him. Calling him stupid is unacceptable.