Speedstep options in windows

twiz66

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012
hello , i have a 2500k and maximus 4 extreme, and ive been having problems with my speedstep, it doesn't want to step all the way down to 1600mhz, its extremely jumpy and stays between 2200-3300mhz even at 1-2% cpu usage, i have all the c-states enabled in bios.

i seem to remember a setting in windows 7 where you could set the load % at which c-states would activate, so the cpu can stay low clocked until say 15% cpu usage but for the life of me i cant find it again , and searching the internet has yielded me no results.

so my question, was i dreaming of this setting or did i see it before? and if so , if someone could point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated.

twiz66

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012
well after a few more days of searching i finally found it myself,

control panel>hardware and sound>power options>edit plan settings
then click the 'change advanced power settings' link in that window,go down to minimum processor state and a % option is there, somehow , my cpu got set to 2% and that was why it never went into maximum c-state, if you like low power usage on your cpu , set it to 15-20% and all your background programs wont put your cpu to max multi.

keep in mind tho that if you own a quad core+, 15% is the single core equivalent of like 65-70% on a quad, so be careful or it wont upclock when you need it .

best answer to me i guess , lol