SPIED: Nvidia GTX 470 'Fermi' PCB Cut-out Cooler

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
Performance-wise, I'm going to wonder what nVidia's point is. I honestly scratch my head at the logic of trying to combine both GDDR5 memory and a bus width of greater than 256 bits. That means with a bus width of 384 bits AND using GDDR5 at the same time, this'll give the 480 in the range of 172.8-230.4 GB/sec of bandwidth. Even with Crysis, it's been pretty solidly understood that even anything near this is drastic overkill; at this point, you're largely going to be limited in the units on the GPU, rather than memory bandwidth. There really simply aren't any screen resolutions high enough to necessitate that much bandwidth. So really, it seems as if the price is gonna be jacked up due to having to buy BOTH the wide interface and the GDDR5, without getting any extra benefit compared to as if one of those two had been dropped. (either using GDDR3 as per what nVidia did before, or dropping to 256-bit like AMD is doing)

Hence, going on this, and knowing how poor yields ALWAYS are with massive GPUs, I honestly wonder how well this card will really compete with the 58/5900 series, namely on price/performance. It looks like it might be a repeat of the GTX200 vs. the Radeon 4800 all over again, only AMD has crammed some mild improvements into their architecture, while GF100 seems to just be a supersized GT200.

[citation][nom]dragonsqrrl[/nom]If I'm counting the mem on the PCB correctly, it looks like the GTX 470 will have a 320 bit GDDR5 memory interface, in comparison to the GTX 480's 384 bit interface.[/citation]
Good eye. That does appear to clearly be a total of 10 RAM chips on the "top" side, with three on either side of the GPU, and 4 "above" it. And yes, 10 chips would mean a 320-bit interface.

[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]Is that card and the one in the pic in this article supposed to be the same thing? Cause the layouts are not the same at all, even the cut outs are in different places.[/citation]
They're two different cards; the one spied in this article is the 470, while the one linked is the 480. Notice the contacts on the back of the 470, that indicate the presence of only 10 chips, arranged as I described to dragonsqrrl. Meanwhile, the other has 12.

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Release is in this month so I believe this pic, weve seen pics of the new iphone 3g before it was released and they were coming from China as well.... anyway this is no big deal, its about time for a shot or two of Fermi and the gf100 chip... thus far there has been nill marketing for Nvidia.... we dont even have specs or a real picture...

masterjaw

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
No benches, no story.

This card is long overdue and what we could only see are just mere snapshots. Hopefully, this isn't again one of their baloney gimmicks like the fake Fermi.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]dragonsqrrl[/nom]Given the performance numbers I've seen from relatively accurate sources, the GTX 470 falls closer in line with the performance of the HD5870 then does the 480.[/citation]

definitely convinced me there buddy. im sure your little sister has inside sources in nVidia

as for pre order pricing? smh, u dont remember the gtx 260/280 bs? they still had it marked up when it came out, even though the 4870 performed on par with the 260... they could be evil and want to reel in the first adapter suckers in first, make as much as possible from the first few batches, and then lower the price. never underestimate how crooked a company can get

iamezza

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]True but this one is not being held by Jen so its more than likely the real deal.[/citation]

only if you have a spare $600 lying around..

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished

Not me. I won't waste cash on Fermi's hype. I'll wait for the 5850 or 5870 prices to lower and then set up an Eyefinity rig with 3 23" monitors . Sure the Fermi might beat it framerates but who cares between 100 fps or 120 fps?

I'll bet anyone that within 4 months, Fermi's initial prices will 15% to 20% lower.

hillarymakesmecry

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
[citation][nom]HundredIslandsBoy[/nom]Not me. I won't waste cash on Fermi's hype. I'll wait for the 5850 or 5870 prices to lower and then set up an Eyefinity rig with 3 23" monitors . Sure the Fermi might beat it framerates but who cares between 100 fps or 120 fps? I'll bet anyone that within 4 months, Fermi's initial prices will 15% to 20% lower.[/citation]

I don't get the love people have for eyefinity. I'd much rather have a 30" than 3 24's with bezels in between, but I guess to each his own.

If a computer product maintains 80% of it's value for 4 months I'll be happy. I had a 5850 on order for $255 when they first came out and canceled it. I wish I hadn't now that the prices have increased. I bought a new PS3 instead, at least it's been entertaining. Video cards are all too expensive compared to consoles. And with computer games costing the same thing computers are losing their incentive. I think computer games will be very very rare in 5 years. Hackers killed an industry.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished

I've heard the same predictions 20 years, 15 years ago, 10 years ago, about pirates killing the PC games industry. The 5850 probably went up in price because of their popularity --> demand versus supply sets the prices. When Fermi comes out you can expect AMD to drop some of their prices.

Eyefinity will get better with thinner bezels LCDs and LED monitors. A 30" monitor is huge. Why not get a projector and fill the room?

marraco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
Given the switch to ddr5, the leaked benchmarks are disapointing.

and the yield problems will make this card very scarce and expensive.

It looks like I would stay with my 8800GT until the "tock".

bk420

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
I've heard good and bad about this card. not sure if it's going to live up to what we all are expecting. Hopefully the numbers are good, but it's about time. I'll definitely wait for those to come out before i even think about getting one. the 285's are still kicking along strong in my box.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]definitely convinced me there buddy. im sure your little sister has inside sources in nVidiaas for pre order pricing? smh, u dont remember the gtx 260/280 bs? they still had it marked up when it came out, even though the 4870 performed on par with the 260... they could be evil and want to reel in the first adapter suckers in first, make as much as possible from the first few batches, and then lower the price. never underestimate how crooked a company can get[/citation]
lol, yes I do remember that... apparently better then you. The GTX260/280 came out before the Radeon HD4000 series, completely different from this situation. And yes, the prices were marked up because for about a month there was no competition from ATI. Sound similar to what ATI is doing now? The 5870's and 5970's have all gone up in price since their launch because there's no competition from Nvidia. Still think your angel company is going to lower prices out of the goodness of their heart, fanboy? Unlike those evil bastards at Nvidia that can never be trusted? lol, Please try to 'remember' a little harder before questioning other peoples memory...

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]ok so if there is only really [and pathetically] a 5% improvement over the hd 5870, then nvidia will put out the gtx480 for $450 and up, advertising physx and 3d gaming thinking it'll be enough reason to mark it up.. and they'll probably throw in a free game as well.also, if it is only a 5% improvement, the hd 5890 should easily rain on their parade and drop prices quickly.. ati/amd will also probably announce it within a week or two after nvidia's cards are released to keep customers on their side.. competition for the win[/citation]
O ya... and we still don't have an answer as to where you got these figures from, again I ask "your own educated estimations?". Or perhaps those of Charlie Demerjian. Based on how you completely veered off topic in your last response I'm going to make my own educated guess and go with option B... everyone's favorite douchbag.

alexcheng

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
Hmm, I never owned any card that allows SLI, but, seems to me that the SLI connectors are a bit different? Or is it just me...? (I I thought there's only 2 connectors, what's the little one doing in the middle?)

Status
Not open for further replies.