[SOLVED] Spikes on every game on Ethernet

Jul 27, 2021
I started to have an issue where what ever game i play the ping starts to spike and I have tried everything to fix this when i do test everything seems normal the technicians that came to check the internet said everything was in order with internet and even replaced my modem and router so now I have a feeling the issue is with my computer the internet works fine for streaming like YouTube and Netflix but when i play games it starts to spike on every game. i have tired wireless and it does the same thing.

I have a good pc
Cpu r5 3600
Gpu rtx 3070
ik is bottle neck but im gona upgrade the cpu
16gb ram

Solution
So the next test is to run a tracert to 8.8.8.8
Then open 2 cmd windows. You want to run ping to hop1 your router and hop2 the ISP first router in most cases.

If you see ping spike to hop1 it is likely some issue with your pc or router. It is common for wifi so be sure to only test on ethernet.

It is very rare to see issues in hop 1.

If you see issues in hop 2 this is some issue with the ISP connection to your house. Ping spikes though are much harder to get them to fix than packet loss. In general a ping spike is caused by data being held in a buffer. This is almost always because something is overloaded. Be very sure you are not exceeding your bandwidth you purchase from the ISP. It can be either upload or...
Why do you say the ping starts to spike. Are you getting some number from the game or are you testing it yourself.

Leave a constant ping run to some ip like 8.8.8.8 in a background window. When the game has issue see if you see spikes in the actual ping window.

Jul 27, 2021
Why do you say the ping starts to spike. Are you getting some number from the game or are you testing it yourself.

Leave a constant ping run to some ip like 8.8.8.8 in a background window. When the game has issue see if you see spikes in the actual ping window.
because i check the ping when it gives me the latency warning symbol and its spiking up and then if its a good spike it settles back to normal but on a bad one it goes super high and last for ever and even kicks me out of games

Jul 27, 2021

i did what u said and yes its spiking

Then open 2 cmd windows. You want to run ping to hop1 your router and hop2 the ISP first router in most cases.

If you see ping spike to hop1 it is likely some issue with your pc or router. It is common for wifi so be sure to only test on ethernet.

If you see issues in hop 2 this is some issue with the ISP connection to your house. Ping spikes though are much harder to get them to fix than packet loss. In general a ping spike is caused by data being held in a buffer. This is almost always because something is overloaded. Be very sure you are not exceeding your bandwidth you purchase from the ISP. It can be either upload or download rates. It depends on how large your internet is. A small connection say under 25mbps is easy to over load with simple stuff like watching netflix.

Solution
Jul 27, 2021

If you see issues in hop 2 this is some issue with the ISP connection to your house. Ping spikes though are much harder to get them to fix than packet loss. In general a ping spike is caused by data being held in a buffer. This is almost always because something is overloaded. Be very sure you are not exceeding your bandwidth you purchase from the ISP. It can be either upload or download rates. It depends on how large your internet is. A small connection say under 25mbps is easy to over load with simple stuff like watching netflix.
How do i run the tracert test to my router and isp i know how to do it to 8.8.8.8 but idk how to do it for the router or the isp

Jul 27, 2021

i belive i did the one to my router and it only hop 1 and it came out good

Jul 27, 2021
You do the tracert to 8.8.8.8

It is only to get the IP addresses of the routers in the path. Tracert does not run long enough to show problems correctly.

You should see the IP of your ISP in hop 2
i did the test hop 2 wich is my isp had a spike of 223ms so does this mean is my isp that is messing up? because they came and said everything was in order 2 times

How long did you let it run for. A single spikes means nothing. Could have been you machine or another in your house opened a large web page at that exact instant. You have to have a lot of them before the ISP is going to care. In fact even if you have huge number of 1000ms spikes they may not care.

A latency spike is caused by data being held in a buffer. This is only done when there is congestion on the line.

What kind of internet do you have. Things like fiber and cable modems the media is shared with your neighbors. It can be the combine load of all the people around you that cause a overload. If it is DSL it would be much more likely something in your house is pushing the internet to the maximum you buy. It could be upload traffic also since that number is very small on a DSL connection.

Jul 27, 2021
How long did you let it run for. A single spikes means nothing. Could have been you machine or another in your house opened a large web page at that exact instant. You have to have a lot of them before the ISP is going to care. In fact even if you have huge number of 1000ms spikes they may not care.

A latency spike is caused by data being held in a buffer. This is only done when there is congestion on the line.

What kind of internet do you have. Things like fiber and cable modems the media is shared with your neighbors. It can be the combine load of all the people around you that cause a overload. If it is DSL it would be much more likely something in your house is pushing the internet to the maximum you buy. It could be upload traffic also since that number is very small on a DSL connection.
i have fiber internet i pay for 400mbps and get 480mbps i left it running until it stopped and on every test it would be the second hop that spiked

Jul 27, 2021

when i do the test the second and third hops are both spiking

It sounds like you are using tracert to test. It does not run long enough to get good results

You want to do ping x.x.x.x -t

It is actually a good thing that hop 3 and really every hop past 2 will be affected. If it is not you start to suspect a testing issue. If you get delays in hop2 since all other packets going to other hops must first pass hop 2 they all should show the extra delay spikes.

All you can do is call the ISP and hope they will fix this. The ISP I am sure will tell you they do not promise any latency and only partially promise the speed you get.

Reactions: kraze12