spilled milk onto my desktop

fred558i

Prominent
Mar 11, 2017
So yesterday i spilled about 30 ml of milk down my computer, i immediately shut it off, and removed it from the sucket. I left it to dry over night. Then this morning i turned it on, and then after around 20 min. it started with this ''buzzing'' or sparkling sound, and after a few seconds my whole room smelled burned. i then unpluged it, and opened it up to take a look at what was going on, but i couldent seem to find any burned plastic, or anything that indicated it'd been burning. then i removed the graphiccard, and the ram, and started hairdrying the components for aobut 20 min, and let it dry for a few hours, now when i plug it into the socket, the buzzing/sparkling sound immediatly appers once again, The computer isn't even on, and the psu is turned off on the back aswell. Is there anyone who has any idea what opponents which may or may not be broken, or any idea on how to test if so?

Solution
The problem is twofold. One not everything would be dry that quickly, it's recommended you wait *days* when you spill something. Second, the fact that you spilled milk makes it a lot more complicated - the liquid would dry, but not the things in the milk that *aren't* water. I'm not sure of the conductivity of milk components because, well, I've never had this come up before.

Honestly, you're now in "swap and experiment mode" for your PC. Which means a lot of trial-and-error until you figure out which parts are ruined and which aren't. The PSU is likely toast and should never be plugged in again.
If you hear sounds just by plugging PSU into wall, then most likely milk got inside PSU. It is possible it did not dry yet, and when you turned it on, you got the smell of burned milk. Hard to tell how much damage it could do. The biggest problem with it is you can't really look inside to check.
Basically, you need to remove every component from PC and make sure it's dry. That includes CPU too (make sure to check CPU socket if the milk didn't get there) and even motherboard battery. Also use hair drier to dry every slot on mobo. Check all plugs of cables for any milk. Once done, you can try again, but I would use different PSU (if only for test purpose).

fred558i

Prominent
Mar 11, 2017

so i've figured out that is was the sucket which made the noise. but when i try to turn on the pc, my monitor can't seem to find a signal, i suppose this must be a problem with gpu, right?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
The problem is twofold. One not everything would be dry that quickly, it's recommended you wait *days* when you spill something. Second, the fact that you spilled milk makes it a lot more complicated - the liquid would dry, but not the things in the milk that *aren't* water. I'm not sure of the conductivity of milk components because, well, I've never had this come up before.

Honestly, you're now in "swap and experiment mode" for your PC. Which means a lot of trial-and-error until you figure out which parts are ruined and which aren't. The PSU is likely toast and should never be plugged in again.

Solution

fred558i

Prominent
Mar 11, 2017

The psu seems to be fine i Can easily boot up my system, but i think the graphiccard is toasted since i can't Seem to get Any signal when i plug the hdmi into the card.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Bah, the other way around would be less expensive, but I'm glad you're booting up except for the GPU!