Question Splitting Raid1 discs to two standalone discs

SimonJaye

Commendable
Jun 30, 2019
Hi all

I have a two bay Icy Box (Model IB-RD3620SU3) with two identical 2TB drives (WD Green WD20EZRX) set up from the outset as RAID1. The PC runs Windows 10 (and another Icy Box but with two 4TB WD Blue drives).

I have become aware that Raid1 is not a solution to backing up data. I wish to split/uncouple the Raid 1 drives. I need to preserve the data so that I can use one of the two drives as my new master drive and then find a new way to do a proper regular back up to the second of the drives.

I have done a search and seen some suggestions about going into the Raid Bios, but despite some efforts I have not been able to find it let alone achieve the result I am looking for !

Any ideas.

Thanks all

SJ.

What happens to the backup if a fire breaks out and fries the PC? You need some type of off-line backup - and probably something off-site. As far as the raid configuration we need more information. List specs of PC - motherpoard and if you use any specific raid card.

Note! Setting/changing the RAID mode requires formatting the drives. Make sure to backup all existing data first!
https://www.raidsonic.de/products/e...D3620SU3/pdf/E_IB-3620_Series_manual_v1.1.pdf

You could:
remove 1 drive from raid enclosure,​
connect it to your pc directly and try to read it.​
If it is not readable, then format it, repartition and copy data from raid enclosure to it. After that reset raid mode on raid enclosure.
If it is readable, then you can reset raid mode on raid enclosure right away.