SPONSORED - Why Buy An Intel Motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

The 3 years guarantee is fake! They send you back the mobo lying about imaginary corrosions!

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
I happen to be a grade-A idiot and now want to buy an Intel motherboard because this article presents data so well. Who else wants some free money?

trauquen

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
someone said intel motherboard now is not designed by self, they are ODM products, not OEM products. is that truth?

Lutfij

Titan
seriously, i'm beggingin to doubt my 2+ years membership at Tom's cos of this so called "article"

I thought Tom's was engaged in bringing us groundbreaking reviews - not things to read when we need to go to sleep.

Face it intel - manufacturers are able to reverse engineer your boards and come out with tonnes of goodies with a slight bump in prices! Period!

Lutfij

Titan

people who aren't enlisted on pc/tech forums and swindlers :p with this rubbish report even intel can fool its CEO into buying their crap :D

G

My first and last intel board was purchased with my i3 core (gen1). Pure garbage after 6 months. Slow POSTs became non boots unless I started the machine and hit the reset button. Stick it sideways intel.

G

Well, it's good that it says SPONSORED on the first page, as this could just as well have been written by Intel...

yannigr

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
Intel's Hardware? Nvidia's Hardware?
Two alternative names for this site.
I still remember the review for the first Athlon 64. Funny stuff. Intel stuff.

justjc

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
I guess we now know why the Intel was favoured, with a way more expensive chip and a lot of tests that we all knew would favour a more powerful CPU with Quicksync, in the AMD A8-3500M APU Review

joe_bloggs

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
For shame! Makes one long for the days of Dr Thomas Pabst. Yes, he's the one who founded this site but hasn't been associated with it for a long time now. Here's an example of how he took on the mighty Intel years ago:
http://www.windowsitpro.com/article/news2/cpu-embarrassment-intel-recalls-pentium-iii-1-13ghz
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/revisiting-intel,221.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/latest-update-intel,236.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-admits-problems-pentium-iii-1,235.html

leonardo

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2004
I had just started coming around to viewing THG as a legitimate tech site...until this sleazy Intel infomercial. 1. Are your readers so stupid as to view this as an a real article - even if you did cover yourself with the lead-in, "Sponsored." 2. This is the type of tripe one views on a nameless, triple digit cable channel with about 12 viewers, late at night. 3. The marketing maroons at THG now trump the tech writers?

G

Cool down. Life is not for free. Intel paid toms to post this article as a commercial. You should not be mad at toms for posting it, if you like the site as a whole you must accept that they need the commercials to survive. As seen from all these comments you are smart enough not to be fooled by such things.

marraco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
I owned or managed motherboards from Intel, PCCHIPS, ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, QDI, and other trademarks. Only PCCHIPS was worse than Intel.

Bar PCCHIPS, Intel makes the worst motherboards I ever suffered.

The list of Intel troubles I had include:

-SATA ports don’t working without an IDE disk installed. It made impossible to install windows on a mother with single SATA disk.
-Obsolete ICHx drivers non working on Windows XP SP2 or SP3. The new ones were NOT available as download from Intel, because they “were included” on windows (SP0). I was forced to extract drivers from Asus motherboard files, edit text files, and install the updated drivers. Had the same problem with ICH9, and ICH10 Intel mothers. In other words, updated Intel drivers are frequently only available for non Intel motherboards.
Like the cake, Support is a lie.

-Memory module incompatibility. They worked OK on Gigabyte, Asus, and MSI with same chipset and processors, but Intel mobos don’t even boot, because they were “not registered”.

-Multiple memory modules with different timings non working on Intel. They were working without problem on other mothers, but Intel doesn’t know how to manage it.
Like the cake, Stability is a lie.

-Frequently USB dispositives don’t work on Intel, but they work on non Intel mothers. I had a large pile of pen drives.

-Pooooor BIOS. Intel have the worst BIOS ever.

-Poorly featured motherboards.

-Trouble booting with more than one video card installed.

-Disgusting integrated video. Both ATI and nVidia had far better integrated video than Intel (and better chipsets features). The only “fix” Intel found was to forbade third party chipsets… and Intel video still suxks, and his drivers are plain disgusting.
-Far overpriced. Intel mothers cost too much, and just for entry level features.

-The Rambus fiasco. Rambus memory was not available on my city, and it was cheaper to replace the entire motherboard with an MSI one with DDR than buying the Rambus memories…. AND the DDR was faster.

G

Well, at least they admitted, that this article is bought. I guess, they had to, because everyone would suspect a late April-Fool, if THG suddenly recommends Intel-Mobos...

Heh, I think that this article should have had"(take this with a grain of salt)" at the end of the title. Intel made a BAD mistake with this crap because most of us here on tomshardware are experts, enthusiasts, technicians and hardcore gamers who do NOT buy "brand-in-a-box" desktops with Foxconn motherboards branded as Intel. That's right folks, Intel doesn't actually make their own motherboards. They contract out to Foxconn (who we know makes crap) and I'd take pretty much any motherboard make over Foxconn. Intel's motherboards are reliable? I used to be a sales rep for Tiger Direct and I'll tell you that Intel mobos are absolute garbage unless you're using the system for business apps that need all the power of a P1 with Win95! Motherboard brands have tier levels according to quality and features. Here is how they rank:

Tier 1 - Legendary features, performance, reliability and reputation. These boards appeal to enthusiasts and generally are beyond reproach. These makers have legendary board series names that are recognised as the pinnacle of motherboard design. They demand a price premium for their products and still tend to outsell the Tier 2 and 3 levels at the consumer level:
ASUS - Crosshair, Sabertooth, Rampage, EVO
Gigabyte - Assassin, Sniper, UD5, UD7
MSI - Platinum, Big Bang, GDxx Series

ASUS, Gigabyte and MSI are generally recognised as the finest desktop motherboard makers in the world. Tyan and Supermicro are Tier 1 as well but in the server category.

Tier 2 - Lesser-known names that are making a name for themselves by offering great performance and reliability at great prices. Generally these brands are younger than Tier 1 and don't make no-holds-barred overclocking performance boards (yet). Tier 2 also includes makers that were previously Tier 3 but have worked hard to improve their reliability, feature sets and performance:

ASRock, Biostar, ECS, Zotac

Tier 3 - Names that are generally unknown or have dubious reliability reputations. They have a limited selection and pander more to the OEMs (Acer, Dell, HP & Lenovo) than they do to the consumer market. They are generally dirt cheap (with one glaring exception) and offer decent value for users who know little to nothing about computers (people who buy brand-in-a-box desktops). Generally any attempts at production of high-end boards results in fiascos due to their generally inept (or crack-smoking) designers and bad corporate philosophies (low wages, high employee suicide rates, refusal to pay for quality components, greed, arrogance):

Foxconn - Possibly the worst tech company ever but possibly the largest because of their massive production capacity and huge contracts with desktop and laptop OEMs.
Intel - Made by Foxconn and priced like Tier 1 but have very good corporate customer support. If you have any expertise at all, Intel boards are just not worth it. If you're a tech-moron and don't know anyone with expertise, an Intel board would be an attractive idea for a first-built because you could be on the phone with them as they walk you through the installation. Personally, I'd just watch a YouTube video and use a Tier 1 or 2 depending on the build's purpose.
JetWay - Young, small and relatively poor. I expect that they will one day become Tier 2 if they can ever stop tripping over their own feet.

Lutfij

Titan
[citation][nom]Avro Arrow[/nom]Heh, I think that this article should have had"(take this with a grain of salt)" at the end of the title. Intel made a BAD mistake with this crap because most of us here on tomshardware are experts, enthusiasts, technicians and hardcore gamers who do NOT buy "brand-in-a-box" desktops with Foxconn motherboards branded as Intel. That's right folks, Intel doesn't actually make their own motherboards. They contract out to Foxconn (who we know makes crap) and I'd take pretty much any motherboard make over Foxconn. Intel's motherboards are reliable? I used to be a sales rep for Tiger Direct and I'll tell you that Intel mobos are absolute garbage unless you're using the system for business apps that need all the power of a P1 with Win95! Motherboard brands have tier levels according to quality and features. Here is how they rank:Tier 1 - Legendary features, performance, reliability and reputation. These boards appeal to enthusiasts and generally are beyond reproach. These makers have legendary board series names that are recognised as the pinnacle of motherboard design. They demand a price premium for their products and still tend to outsell the Tier 2 and 3 levels at the consumer level:ASUS - Crosshair, Sabertooth, Rampage, EVOGigabyte - Assassin, Sniper, UD5, UD7MSI - Platinum, Big Bang, GDxx SeriesASUS, Gigabyte and MSI are generally recognised as the finest desktop motherboard makers in the world. Tyan and Supermicro are Tier 1 as well but in the server category.Tier 2 - Lesser-known names that are making a name for themselves by offering great performance and reliability at great prices. Generally these brands are younger than Tier 1 and don't make no-holds-barred overclocking performance boards (yet). Tier 2 also includes makers that were previously Tier 3 but have worked hard to improve their reliability, feature sets and performance:ASRock, Biostar, ECS, ZotacTier 3 - Names that are generally unknown or have dubious reliability reputations. They have a limited selection and pander more to the OEMs (Acer, Dell, HP & Lenovo) than they do to the consumer market. They are generally dirt cheap (with one glaring exception) and offer decent value for users who know little to nothing about computers (people who buy brand-in-a-box desktops). Generally any attempts at production of high-end boards results in fiascos due to their generally inept (or crack-smoking) designers and bad corporate philosophies (low wages, high employee suicide rates, refusal to pay for quality components, greed, arrogance):Foxconn - Possibly the worst tech company ever but possibly the largest because of their massive production capacity and huge contracts with desktop and laptop OEMs.Intel - Made by Foxconn and priced like Tier 1 but have very good corporate customer support. If you have any expertise at all, Intel boards are just not worth it. If you're a tech-moron and don't know anyone with expertise, an Intel board would be an attractive idea for a first-built because you could be on the phone with them as they walk you through the installation. Personally, I'd just watch a YouTube video and use a Tier 1 or 2 depending on the build's purpose.JetWay - Young, small and relatively poor. I expect that they will one day become Tier 2 if they can ever stop tripping over their own feet.[/citation]

quite - quite informative, didn't know the thingy about makers of tier 2 boards...Thanks pal!

[citation][nom]lutfij[/nom]quite - quite informative, didn't know the thingy about makers of tier 2 boards...Thanks pal![/citation]
You're welcome. There is no such thing as too much knowledge when one is looking to do a system build or upgrade. :sol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS