Question Sporadically getting disconnected from video games and discord ?

Mar 31, 2023
Recently I have been getting disconnected in the middle of games every few minutes (sporadically, can be fine for a day, but then the next day happens every 30 seconds). This happens in multiple games, where everything in the game stops responding and I have to close the game and reconnect. This also has been happening in Discord where the Voice Connected will turn red and have last ping as 5000ms, however immediately leaving the call and re-entering solves the issue temporarily.

When these disconnects occur, I still remain connected to the network. I have software pinging DNS servers in the background and the ping times are stable, I also can search with browsers without delay. When I am in the games I am usually in a Discord call, and even though I get disconnected from the game, I can still chat with people in the call. This also happens in reverse where I lose connection to the call, but the game does not lose connection.

To troubleshoot this, I have tried connecting to Discord on my phone (on wifi), using another PC in my home network, not using Discord while playing games, but the issue still occurs in all of these situations. This confirms to me that this is a networking issue.

Here is my basic network configuration:
  • Modem Router: CODA-4589-RES Hitron
  • Mesh Router: Deco AXE5400
The main mesh router is plugged into the modem via ethernet. All of the PCs on my network are connected via ethernet to the mesh router (through a basic switch). All routers firmware are up to date.

My main question is: what further troubleshooting should I do to resolve this? I am pretty frustrated at this point. Not sure if I need to scour through router settings or contact my ISP.

This likely means you are getting packet loss but it is very random. It might at times be enough loss to drop a one connection but not another.

I would start with leaving a constant ping to 8.8.8.8 run in the background cmd window to see if you can detect loss when you lose connections in other application.

A couple of things to try that may or may not make any difference.

Disable IPv6 in the network settings, IPv6 can take a different path to destinations in the internet than IPv4. Maybe different applications are running different types of IPv4/IPv6.
Since your modem has a router built in try to remove your deco router and directly connect your systems to the modem/router. This will eliminate the deco as a the source of some strange bug. The only thing the deco does that your ISP modem/router does not is WIFI6E the ethernet part will perform exactly the same.
In the longer run you might want to run the Deco stuff as a AP just to not have a dual nat issues,but dual nat does not cause packet loss so it is not a immediate concern.

Mar 31, 2023
Thank you for the response. Yeah, I am using GPING to monitor connection, and whenever I lose connection the GPING still shows a smooth graph when pinging 8.8.8.8.

I will try the IPv6 thing and the direct connection to the modem and see if I have any more issues. It will probably be a bit before I can confirm if the issues have been solved.