Question spray painting GPU will it burn?

Aug 14, 2024
so i am planing to spray pain my gpu that is going up to 70 80 degree will the paing flame or melt or something like that at this temp ? also my paint says that is extremly flameable

Aug 14, 2024
Why are you doing this?

Do you mean painting a fan shroud, or the whole GPU (not recommended)?
i want my gpu to be white and i am planing only exterior that is not connected to performance things my gpu is gtx 760 that have back safety part that is onlyplastic i want to paint that and in front of gpu that is only plastic too
nothing related to what works up gpu
the front part is not hot at all the back part is like burning like u can cook egg on it dd

Gururu

Upstanding
Jan 4, 2024
Several reasons why not to do this, primary being that you will be adding another layer of insulation on the chips that is flammable (particularly if using a paint that is not designed for high temperature). Not to mention possible short circuits on the wiring. Painting the silicon and chips seems dangerous.

Gururu

Upstanding
Jan 4, 2024
i want my gpu to be white and i am planing only exterior that is not connected to performance things my gpu is gtx 760 that have back safety part that is onlyplastic i want to paint that and in front of gpu that is only plastic too
nothing related to what works up gpu
the front part is not hot at all the back part is like burning like u can cook egg on it dd
ok good, would you be able to remove before painting?

Aug 14, 2024
Those plastic bits (shroud/backplate) can be painted if you use the right type of paint (something high temperature might be wise). I would remove and paint, then re-assemble.
yes ofc without a doubt i will remove it and paint it like that but i wanted to know when i am playing does my pgu or paint on that gpu melt or worst case flame appears

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
The common recommendation for PC component paint that is readily available in stores is engine enamel. It is high temperature rated, well beyond what the typical computer can produce. Complete overkill, but peace of mind.

Keep in mind you are seeing the GPU core temperature, not the temperature of the heatsink, it will be cooler, or it wouldn't work. Air movement from the fans will keep the shroud from getting anywhere near a temperature to affect common spray paint.

Aug 14, 2024
The common recommendation for PC component paint that is readily available in stores is engine enamel. It is high temperature rated, well beyond what the typical computer can produce. Complete overkill, but peace of mind.

Keep in mind you are seeing the GPU core temperature, not the temperature of the heatsink, it will be cooler, or it wouldn't work. Air movement from the fans will keep the shroud from getting anywhere near a temperature to affect common spray paint.
ye but the part i want to paint that is on back of my gpu the plastic that defends back of the side is heating so much it is not gpu performance thing only plastic is heating but if i spray paint that thing and it heats up to 90 degree i might get flame my spray paint says extremly flameable when i bought it i didnt think of the heat

COLGeek

Cybernaut
ye but the part i want to paint that is on back of my gpu the plastic that defends back of the side is heating so much it is not gpu performance thing only plastic is heating but if i spray paint that thing and it heats up to 90 degree i might get flame my spray paint says extremly flameable when i bought it i didnt think of the heat
If you use the type of paint @Eximo mentioned, this won't be an issue. That backplate doesn't get that hot, or shouldn't. If it did, your GPU would likely be toast.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Aug 14, 2024
That isn't a high temperature paint. Have you looked at the label itself for any temperature related information?

I wouldn't recommend this, because I don't have enough information to make a sound recommendation.

If a high temperature paint, as previously suggested, I would say proceed.

If you proceed with the current paint. Good luck.
i read someone sad that every paint can endure 120 degree