Sprint Says RIM Will Never Be The Same Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

aftcomet

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
I'm counting them out. The company has been so much fail in recent history that it's impossible to imagine them surviving. Their only hope in my opinion is to switch to Android.

WP8, iOS, and Android is way too hot to handle. If they didn't have BBM, they'd already be roadkill.

Sad but true. It's their fault. Number one rule in the tech business (actually nowadays in any industry), you gotta be not one, but two steps ahead of the curve, and RIM fell back big time.

Good luck.

festerovic

Distinguished
I would hate for the company to go, but RIM's product(s) are behind the times and with the exception of a few models, are very lacking compared to Android/apple. I think they have survived off their name for some time now...

[citation][nom]aftcomet[/nom]I'm counting them out. The company has been so much fail in recent history that it's impossible to imagine them surviving. Their only hope in my opinion is to switch to Android.WP8, iOS, and Android is way too hot to handle. If they didn't have BBM, they'd already be roadkill.Sad but true. It's their fault. Number one rule in the tech business (actually nowadays in any industry), you gotta be not one, but two steps ahead of the curve, and RIM fell back big time. Good luck.[/citation]

I recall another company which was near bankruptcy in the late 1990s. They made a few bad business decisions and were faced with overwhelming pressure from the giant that dominated their industry. Needless to say they're still around today

G

It's been two years since they announced BBX/BB10? They purchased QNX and couldn't get it to gel. It has just stagnated since. It is sad to see.

They need to put something out with BB10 something they can work the bugs out on. They really should have released it on the Playbook, it really wasn't functional, and add functions from there with a work in progress. Get people excited with that and work from there.

phatboe

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
Too all the doubters I say wait and see, just as the exec in the article suggests. You never know what RIM may have in store with BB10 and until they release new products I would hold off on any conclusions. BB knows that this is their last chance, if they fail this time the company very well may go out of business. BB knows what it is up against, now it is time for them to fight or die trying.

nugenttw

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
Only because the "Giant that dominated their industry" bailed them out with massive cash infusions. They also made their money back with a product that was completely different than their previous offerings. Apple computers sucked, so they sold the crap out of mp3 players. Then they sold the crap out of phones.

colson79

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2012
As a user with corporate BB I would be happy to see RIM go away. Their current phones suck and if they were gone my company would be forced to find something else.

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
I remember my BB Pearl, dropped it in the lake in Vermont while on vaca, still worked! Dropped my (company bought) iPhone 3g, hairline fracture around the slider, no more workie, got a new iPhone 4 out of it, shattered screen turning a corner in the office (phone was in my pocket) I miss my BB honestly, but will most likely go with SGIII in the very near future. WP8 was peaking my interest, even was being called a fanboy but after them still not supporting flash on my WP7.5, locking me out of being able to do changes through GPO on W8 and not being able to watch my soccer team make it to the finals today, im done with them.

aftcomet

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
[citation][nom]Pinhedd[/nom]I recall another company which was near bankruptcy in the late 1990s. They made a few bad business decisions and were faced with overwhelming pressure from the giant that dominated their industry. Needless to say they're still around today[/citation]

Statistically speaking, more often than not, companies in serious financial and organizational trouble will fail. Just because there is an exception doesn't make it the norm. The likelihood of RIM coming back and overtaking Apple, Google, and Microsoft/Nokia is ridiculous in itself. Get real.

senshu

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2010
[citation][nom]computernerdforlife[/nom]If you doomsday naysayers KNOW for a fact that the companies is done for, open a trading account and short trade them to their demise for free money.[/citation]
Yeah, that'd be great if we already had shares of RIM to sell short.

spookyman

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
I recall another company which was near bankruptcy in the late 1990s. They made a few bad business decisions and were faced with overwhelming pressure from the giant that dominated their industry. Needless to say they're still around today

Apple was in very serious trouble back in the late 90's. The products they made were terrible. It took Steve Jobs to come and turn the company around. The Ipod is on successful because Apple marketed it. Add in other devices up to the Iphone and Ipad. It was a fad that worked.

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
[citation][nom]Pinhedd[/nom]I recall another company which was near bankruptcy in the late 1990s. They made a few bad business decisions and were faced with overwhelming pressure from the giant that dominated their industry. Needless to say they're still around today[/citation]

You forgot to mention that the giant you mentioned also dumped quite a lot of cash into them to make sure they stayed solvent.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]spookyman[/nom]I recall another company which was near bankruptcy in the late 1990s. They made a few bad business decisions and were faced with overwhelming pressure from the giant that dominated their industry. Needless to say they're still around todayApple was in very serious trouble back in the late 90's. The products they made were terrible. It took Steve Jobs to come and turn the company around. The Ipod is on successful because Apple marketed it. Add in other devices up to the Iphone and Ipad. It was a fad that worked.[/citation]

And if someone else hadn't dumbed a ton of money into Apple....there wouldn't have been an Apple for Steve Jobs to come back to. Keep in mind that Steve Jobs also caused most of Apple's financial problems prior to leaving the company..... Had it not been for someone else's financial contributions, Steve Jobs would have been the end of Apple long before he claims to have saved them.

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006

But RIM is Canadian, it's going to be whored out for patents to American $$$ in a few years like our other tech "darlings".

G

If RIM change to Android they will lose all that gives them an edge. It would be easier to just close up and go home.

And for those with corporate BlackBerrys. If RIM goes belly up I guess about half the companies would give their employees Androids and iPhones and the other half would say "Company secrets on a unsecured phone? No way, no more email or intraweb on phones"

G

the problem with them is they are half assed when releasing a product, blackberry 9900 has 720p recording video, but no auto focus, blackberry 9790 have auto focus but cant record 720p video and both of them have bad battery usage, they should innovate more with their devices

Status
Not open for further replies.