Question SQL Server 18.4 Not Painting Correctly on Monitor

jsblume42

Prominent
Jan 8, 2020
I recently purchased an Asus ROG G703GX-XB76 laptop for the home computer consulting that I do. The latest graphics driver is the NVIDIA Studio Driver v 441.66. The graphics card is GeForce RTX 2080.

When using Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 18.4, opening tables for edit, open stored procedures to edit, and other actions, cause the app to repaint incorrectly. Large rectangular blotches of odd colors appear and the toolbars are not visible. If I change the size of the window (maximized to restored) it repaints correctly, but when I execute another action it repaints incorrectly again. I've consulted with Asus, and their suggestion is to factory reset the PC. This is not an ideal solution. And it's only happening with this one application - none others. So I don't think it's the drivers.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

jsblume42

Prominent
Jan 8, 2020
Thanks for the suggestion. I did. One of the first things Asus had me do (forgot to mention that). Still not certain it's the driver. Not sure if this matters, but when I remote into a client's server and run SQL Server Management Studio there (it's an older version) I don't have the problem. It's only version 18.4 running locally on my laptop and absolutely nothing else.

jsblume42

Prominent
Jan 8, 2020
That is a great idea. I didn't think of it because I've got so much else going on right now. I'll check the database versions of my clients and find the minimum required version for the Management Studio. Thanks!