[SOLVED] SSD 100% Usage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 31, 2019
At Friday everything was working fine, saturday morning i received my new mobo, cpu and RAM installed it and then problem started to occur.

My SSD where Windows is installed jumps to 100% usage with 0 KB/s Write or Read speed. Process with highest disk usage is at just 0,1 MB/s speed...

Also in Resouce Monitor nothing really shows up that would use my SSD. Anyway most of the time it's just frozen, entire PC freezes, i can't do anything sometimes even mouse cursor isn't moving.. It happens in a random time period, gaming, idle, listening to music or watching movies really everything

Here's what i did: Reinstall Windows with keeping all files, Disabled Superfetch, Disabled Notifications, Checked for Windows Updates, Turning off antivirus, downloaded every possible driver from mobo producer site, Replaced SSD cable and tried 3 different slots in mobo.. all with the same result.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2019
So i downloaded Windows 10 file called MediaCreationTool and there was option to install Windows 10 with keeping all files, that's what i did. Yeah i just unplugged it from my old one, to newer one with the same OS. You think i should completly wipe my SSD and do a clean install?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Yes I would, it can carry over drivers and residual files that might conflict with the new hardware.
Just backup any files you want, then clean install W10 fully and clean install drivers after.

Make sure you disconnect all other drives whilst you do so too.
Not saying this is 100% your problem, as the only way you'll know is by clean installing, but not clean installing commonly causes problems like this.

USAFRet

Titan
So i downloaded Windows 10 file called MediaCreationTool and there was option to install Windows 10 with keeping all files, that's what i did. Yeah i just unplugged it from my old one, to newer one with the same OS. You think i should completly wipe my SSD and do a clean install?

new mobo, cpu and RAM

If you're seeing issues, then yes, a full wipe and reinstall is indicated.

Reactions: PC Tailor
Aug 31, 2019
Nothing has changed. I didn't even have time to install another browser on fresh new Windows 10, and it happened again, i'm writing this from Edge.

EDIT: It feels like it's happening less often tho.

EDIT2: Alright, i thought it's happening less often but it's actually not. That was just random long break,

Last edited:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Regardless you've done a good thing as it will prevent residual conflicts later on if not now.

Are you running any overclock or XMP at all?
Have you updated any other drives asides the MB ones?
Do you have latest BIOS installed?

Following those being covered:
I'd be tempted to run memtest just to make sure the RAM isn't obviously faulty, being as you've added 3 new components and then the issue started occuring.

Try another SATA port and another SATA data cable....; disconnect any other internal or external hard drives that might be connected, as sometimes reading data from other drives that 'hang' can freeze a system; with none connected, we know it is strictly SSD or nothing. If you've already deleted your partition and full reinstalled, you are left with just the SSD eventually. (Some brands are more known for freezing/firmware issues in some line-ups than others...; is this a Kingston? Can happy with any brand, of course, and certainly a new Crucial MX500 or Samsung 850 EVO will likely 'cure what ails ya' !)

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Try another SATA port and another SATA data cable
Just confirming that he's already done this:
Replaced SSD cable and tried 3 different slots in mobo

Agreed seperating all the drives can help - difficulty is just that the problem seemed to only appear after changing those components if I'm not mistaken @husanks? so we'll have to gradually rule out and see. Being as the RAM is new it could be worth checking as this can lead to various SSD usage.

OP it may also be worth running HD Sentinel to see if there is anything obvious.

Aug 31, 2019
Regardless you've done a good thing as it will prevent residual conflicts later on if not now.

Are you running any overclock or XMP at all?
Have you updated any other drives asides the MB ones?
Do you have latest BIOS installed?

Following those being covered:
I'd be tempted to run memtest just to make sure the RAM isn't obviously faulty, being as you've added 3 new components and then the issue started occuring.

I will try memtest, RAM is only thing i bought from someone using something like ebay, and yes i have overclocked RAM from 2133 to 2400. I'm 99% sure i had the same issue before overclocking tho.
I did update LAN drivers, Audio, GPU, SATA controllers, newest BIOS and everything i could come up with

EDIT: I forgot updating bios changed my settings to default, so i was running on stock 2133 MHz for some time with freezes, i will do memtest tomorrow
And SSD is SATA III Intenso 256 GB

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2019
Apologies my friend. The memtest clears up that issue at least.
Did you run HD Sentinel and remove other drives to test?

Ran all tests i could with free version, checked smart logs alarms performance everything is fine, disk status is: 100% Performance 96% disk life/disk health

With only the SSD connected to mobo and no other drives issue still occurs :(

Is there any good SSD monitor program? In Windows Task Manager's Resource Monitor there is nothing really that uses my disk.

Aug 31, 2019
Apologies my friend. The memtest clears up that issue at least.
Did you run HD Sentinel and remove other drives to test?

Okay, well SSD is working fine for some time in other PC so it must be something with new parts. My bet is that something with RAM, but since memtest didnt actually find any errors it could be still RAM failure? I will try switching RAMs and see how things turn out.

EDIT: Nevermind. Again. I don't know what it may be really, either mobo or cpu. I will buy m.2 ssd soon and get rid of sata one because that seems faster than RMA. Unlucky i guess

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2019
I think it's either problem with mobo or ssd itself, so i replaced and bought m.2 one. I sold that old one to my friend, if he will notice any issues i will refund him money.

Status
Not open for further replies.