[SOLVED] SSD Advices?

Nov 6, 2020
Hi,recently i've just want to asking.

im so confused about DRAM-less SSD and SSD with DRAM

so i had lot of same SSD with same capacity (2TB) in my new nas and is that right the DRAM-less SSD tend to be weaker,and easy to be died?,and my laptop had DRAM-less ssd too,im so confuse.

and im not the person that care about crazy speed of SSD,and DRAMless ssd are more cheaper.

so assuming ive only read the SSD cz there about 20TB of Media shared over NAS in my entire office,house and neighbour,and im using RAID0 because i got more capacity.

are this is so risky?,ive only write the SSD for add new Media only,because the NAS working all day,that the reason we upgrading to SSD.

thanks for replying :)

Solution
The budget SSDs take hits on large writes after the miniscule buffer cache is exhausted, but, if you do not intend to fuss/grow impatient over what is 99% likely to be a 1 GbE network limited to 115 MB/sec anyway, the value SSDs might more than meet your needs... (For that matter, so might 4 quality 3.5" spinning drives of 8 TB each in a simple RAID 5 at overall lower cost compared to 2 TB SSDs, which are not 'cheap')
The budget SSDs take hits on large writes after the miniscule buffer cache is exhausted, but, if you do not intend to fuss/grow impatient over what is 99% likely to be a 1 GbE network limited to 115 MB/sec anyway, the value SSDs might more than meet your needs... (For that matter, so might 4 quality 3.5" spinning drives of 8 TB each in a simple RAID 5 at overall lower cost compared to 2 TB SSDs, which are not 'cheap')

Reactions: GreatestFears
Solution
When the CPU needs to process read data, for eg. fetching a Media File from your NAS, it follows the steps below:

1.Check DRAM cache in system memory.
2.If not found in DRAM cache, then check SSD Cache.
3.If not found in SSD Cache, then fetch from SSD/HDD.

Assuming this file is not on your DRAM cache, having a SSD cache can enhance the fetching operation, as the SSD cache already has a data map/index of every file on the drive which it can pinpoint easily. The downside of not having one is longer I/O throughput time and more load on the main drive as the search operation is done progressively. More load means less life span. This is more relevant for random reads/writes.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybIXsrLCgdM

Reactions: GreatestFears
Nov 6, 2020
yeah well,we connected in 10gbe on home,and 2x1gbe shared for 8 of my neighbor.

ive got preety solid 415-500MB/s over 10Gbe,and ab 90-105MB/s over 1Gbe with RAID0

so,while im doin WORM (Write Once Read Many) does it effect the DRAM-less SSD Lifespan?
cuz in my problems im doin WORM activities on RAID 0 (Media) and im planning do RAID 1 with HDD to prevent data loss,we have so many media in the server.

cz i've buy this 10x 2.5" QLC 2TB SSD,cz i assuming that WORM fill be fine in any SSD.

so in dramless,read can affect Life of the SSD?

thanks in advance :)

love and peace :)

USAFRet

Titan
Hi,recently i've just want to asking.

im so confused about DRAM-less SSD and SSD with DRAM

so i had lot of same SSD with same capacity (2TB) in my new nas and is that right the DRAM-less SSD tend to be weaker,and easy to be died?,and my laptop had DRAM-less ssd too,im so confuse.

and im not the person that care about crazy speed of SSD,and DRAMless ssd are more cheaper.

so assuming ive only read the SSD cz there about 20TB of Media shared over NAS in my entire office,house and neighbour,and im using RAID0 because i got more capacity.

are this is so risky?,ive only write the SSD for add new Media only,because the NAS working all day,that the reason we upgrading to SSD.

thanks for replying :)
What NAS is this?
In any rational NAS box, a RAID 0 is NOT required to have multiple physical drives be seen as one 'volume'.