Question SSD and HDD storage

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
I am looking to put both SSD and HDD storage in my PC. Apparently my Motherboard has 2 slots for SSD and 8 for HDD?

(1). If I was to buy the extra storage units, are there any extra leads, etc... that are required for installation.

(2). I've read of folks have more SSD drives on a PC, how are they getting 4 and 5 SSD drives if there's only 2 slots on a given motherboard? Is there some sort of hub device?

https://www.amazon.com.au/Internal-...e+2.0c+-+m.2+internal+ssd,aps,210&sr=8-1&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Iron...olf+pro+16tb+internal+hdd,aps,282&sr=8-1&th=1

kanewolf

Titan
I am looking to put both SSD and HDD storage in my PC. Apparently my Motherboard has 2 slots for SSD and 8 for HDD?

(1). If I was to buy the extra storage units, are there any extra leads, etc... that are required for installation.

(2). I've read of folks have more SSD drives on a PC, how are they getting 4 and 5 SSD drives if there's only 2 slots on a given motherboard? Is there some sort of hub device?

https://www.amazon.com.au/Internal-Expansion-Graphics-MZ-V9P2T0B-AM/dp/B0BHJJ9Y77/ref=sr_1_1?crid=10BFNABHPF8B4&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.1ahgN1sOBH55Onndm2sS86E4MZA6XqZBjNrVVMecVZ537Lc2q97Ol4yjY8Oez80TFhuGErtHpAF9lYrdx5Uc-SleIbYWCQW-kPIrhXRFayPN5o4Ar3X77_-vCoQ5YfxfJftCXhNeWfKPdObNPuBRTRk54rIqjynGMsBpMyEYEy805x1EG8Acmf8CZ9X-VrTGcd7hhV8nUraVRYPOiRaW1ilETBkR7QeSSn74BJmLgFOdjsqbwa7uKXRQaMRY7NiWh4Pvofc_49WdnE39EoFDp8rrc6r6ueGH5ve9Jhrpmvo.xFL_XDbvCqyg2l2ak9BGkSsVNc8SNUwxDLdYcyMk0SM&dib_tag=se&keywords=SAMSUNG+990+PRO+Series+-+2TB+PCIe+Gen4.+X4+NVMe+2.0c+-+M.2+Internal+SSD&qid=1714749599&sprefix=samsung+990+pro+series+-+2tb+pcie+gen4.+x4+nvme+2.0c+-+m.2+internal+ssd,aps,210&sr=8-1&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-IronWolf-Enterprise-Internal-Drive/dp/B0B94PNF7P/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1E0I107PUNCN5&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.HCe2xioB4YWgDqTtpZRCHlgDh6RWnDsQzXMnU--LZxA1OEAtB8fl4gz13zAcrxetfZewFl-Cc7engeVOb7QzdZxHNljiSe6XRp-zQKzTspvKRPIGZUr3ANrOZ8YjcgLyfQ6PDC7J18mkEU86vrMzUdOI9B1eTsfsEg6KOZoMz2eKZgEIt4i3wh_BO8Oz2ELHLRgJ5QmJjETEskawgaTge-3RVsrnDpLVqDbccqFOHxI.FPdapo9r4SIV9t24BKculHYcOXoa_ls9EHrsD0Pn0q0&dib_tag=se&keywords=Seagate+IronWolf+Pro+16TB+Internal+HDD&qid=1714744027&sprefix=seagate+ironwolf+pro+16tb+internal+hdd,aps,282&sr=8-1&th=1
You can still get SATA 3.5 inch SSDs. Not all SSDs have to be M.2 form factor.

Reactions: Priscus

USAFRet

Titan

I have 6x drives in my system.

2x NVMe M.2
4x SATA III SSD

All direct on the motherboard.

What motherboard do you have?

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
Does anyone have any thoughts on HDD storage being safer for long term storage of large volume of files? I'll be keeping large amounts of photos and videos, long term. I've read the HDD' are good for that?

USAFRet

Titan
Does anyone have any thoughts on HDD storage being safer for long term storage of large volume of files? I'll be keeping large amounts of photos and videos, long term. I've read the HDD' are good for that?
NO storage type is safe if it has the only copy of something.

Backups are your friend.
Multiple copies, on different devices.

USAFRet

Titan
Do you mean totally different PC' devices or different Hard-drives within a PC?
The basic concept is 3-2-1

3 copies, on at least 2 different devices, at least 1 offsite or otherwise inaccessible.

For instance, having the drives in the same system, they are all susceptible if there is a ransomware or other malware attack.

In my realm, basically:
The stuff in the PC
Nightly backup Images (via Macrium Reflect) to the NAS. This is fully automated.
Offsite is a couple of drives in a desk drawer at work, updated quarterly.

Reactions: Eamonn100

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
I have 6x drives in my system.

2x NVMe M.2
4x SATA III SSD

All direct on the motherboard.

What motherboard do you have?
So just so I can get an idea of your layout/use of your storage. Programs and Windows is on one or both of the NVMe M.2's?...

... and the SATA III SSD's are used for storage of the files?

sorry for any noob questions.

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
Samsung 980 Pro - OS and applications
Intel 660p - Photo work
CAD
Video
Games
Random junk
and out of interest, as I will be doing some photography as well...

"Intel 660p - Photo work"... this is used for processing images, etc.. or just storing them? I ask because I wonder why this is the only other NVMe M.2. Is it serving another function other than storage?

USAFRet

Titan
and out of interest, as I will be doing some photography as well...

"Intel 660p - Photo work"... this is used for processing images, etc.. or just storing them? I ask because I wonder why this is the only other NVMe M.2. Is it serving another function other than storage?
It exists because I had it from a previous system, already had the stash of photos on it, and it was VERY inexpensive when I bought it in 2018.
At the time, 1TB for $88.

Files get copied from the camera(s) to there, Output of Lightroom and Paintshop Pro goes there as they are processed.

It is not necessary for it to be an NVMe. It could easily have been one of the SATA III SSDs.

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
It exists because I had it from a previous system, already had the stash of photos on it, and it was VERY inexpensive when I bought it in 2018.
At the time, 1TB for $88.

Files get copied from the camera(s) to there, Output of Lightroom and Paintshop Pro goes there as they are processed.

It is not necessary for it to be an NVMe. It could easily have been one of the SATA III SSDs.
Thanks again, this has all been extremely helpful in forming a mental picture for my storage layout and use.

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
I've order my hard drives but want to make sure I am getting the correct power cables. Both to the Motherboard and to the power unit.

I've bought...

1 Seagate IronWolf Pro, 22 TB, Enterprise NAS Internal HDD

4 Samsung Electronics 870 EVO 2TB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD

My power supply is a... Corsair HX Series HX1000 1000W Power Supply 80 Plus Platinum - High Performance - Full Modular ... I have 3 spare Sata power cables, with 4 sata plugs on each cable.

My motherboard has 8 Sata port on it.

Could folks give me an idea of the cables I'll need.

Last edited:
Could folks give me an idea of the cables I'll need.
2x SATA data cables with appropriate length to reach from motherboard sata port to drive cage, where drive will be installed.

51ufeJ8YHNL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg