SSD causing 90 to 100% CPU usage?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skynet2020

Reputable
Apr 25, 2015
I bought a Samsung 850 250GB SSD. I formatted my old HDD and installed windows 10 from a flash drive onto the new SSD. Everything was going well until I noticed my CPU was idling at 25% and when I ran programs like Norton 360 it would hit 100% during scan on C drive only. When it got to the D drive it went back to 25 to 30% CPU usage. Windows update caused 100% CPU usage as well, but I can't figure out what was causing it since everything I ran caused it to sky rocket! After 3 days I went back to windows 7 and had the same problem. I then installed windows 7 onto my old HDD and problem is gone. Idle is 1 to 5% CPU usage and Norton don't burn up no more then 20% CPU during full system scan. I think maybe my system can't handle a SSD or I got something screwed up somewhere or this might be normal for an SSD. That is why i'm here before I send it back for a replacement. It could be something I have configured wrong. This is my first SSD, so it's possible.

list of things I tried before coming to this:
1. Flashed bios
2. updated all drivers after clean install of windows
3. Ran Norton, Malware bites and Combo fix in safe mode.
4. Checked both sticks of ram
5. removed both GPU's and used integrated graphics during clean install.
6. made sure that SSD had the latest firmware
7. took Norton off
8. tried a different PSU
9. tried windows 7 and 10
10 unplugged everything, took cmos battery out, took GPU's out, unplugged all my HDD's, unplugged my blue ray burner, took out one ram stick and did a flesh install of windows 10.

my pc specs
Asus Maximus vi Hero
intel i5 4670k
8GB of Vengeance ram 1600 Mhz
2 Asus ROG Striker 760
corsair AX 850 power supply unit
Samsung evo 850 250GB
two WD Blue 1TB HDD

Solution
Your CPU, if properly cooled, can run at 100% load for years. Same with the GPU.

Heat is the CPU/GPU killer. Or power surges. But not overworking. This is not a human with a slave driver cracking the whip. It is an electronic device that was created to compute. Its not going to hurt it to make it compute.
Based on those screenshots, I would say that is all normal. The CPU is working hard during the scan. Once the scan is done, you are back to 4% usage.

And your CPU is kicking back up to its intended speed when its working, so that too is normal.

The way I read your initial post, I thought the SSD was causing your CPU to be stuck at 100% use all the time. From the screenshots, thats clearly not the case.

And a tip for ya.. When you want to get a screenshot of just a single window, highlight the single window, and then press ALT-PrtScrn. Then paste the clipboard into your image editor.

Skynet2020

Reputable
Apr 25, 2015
My CPU was idling at like 20% awhile back, but seemed to go away and then Norton was causing this 100% CPU utilization, so I freaked out. My HDD while running Norton only uses 20% of my CPU. While running Norton your saying it is okay for my CPU to be at 100%?

Your SSD pulls files out at 5 times the speed the hard drive can.

20% use rate at hard drive speed x 5 SSD speed = 100%.

Hard drives typically can read at about 105MB/sec.
The Samsung SSD's are very close to 500MB/sec.

Here is a screenshot of my Samsung 840 EVO 1TB drive from last month:

5yzwwn.jpg

Its ok for the CPU to run at 100%, its not gonna hurt anything, though if you play a game or maybe watch a high def video it can hurt performance, but hurting the CPU no it wont hurt it.

Your CPU, if properly cooled, can run at 100% load for years. Same with the GPU.

Heat is the CPU/GPU killer. Or power surges. But not overworking. This is not a human with a slave driver cracking the whip. It is an electronic device that was created to compute. Its not going to hurt it to make it compute.

Solution

Skynet2020

Reputable
Apr 25, 2015
Alright I guess everything is good then. Just was so freaked out by 100% CPU usage. I'm glad to hear my system is not going to suffer from a meltdown. Thanks for the help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.