[SOLVED] SSD Cloning concern/question

exzou

Commendable
Dec 4, 2018
I have a 1TB SSD, Samsung Evo 860 if it matters.
My OS, Win 10 Education with WSL (Windows Subsystem in Linux(2.0 I think) and my steam library are currently installed to this drive. I'm awaiting a new 500GB Samsung Evo 860 SSD to use as my boot drive and a new WD Blue SSD. I'm wanting to perform the following tasks:

1. Clone my OS and related files to the new, smaller 500GB SSD.

2. Clone/Transfer my favorite games, or the ones that would benefit from the slightly better Samsung 1TB SSD... To the Samsung drive, but remap the Samsung 1TB drive to something other than C:.

3. Use the WD SSD as my less favorite/low impact game drive.

Task 1 is what I have the most questions on. Would I be able to partition my 1TB SSD into, let's say, a 64GB and a 936 (ish)GB drive and clone the OS without breaking it? Or what tasks would I instead need to perform to clone my OS to the smaller SSD?

Solution
Moving your Steam lib is easy.

Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

To move an already installed game
Games library
Right click the game
Properties
Local Files
Move Install Folder

exzou

Commendable
Dec 4, 2018
How much space is consumed on the source drive?
If above 400GB, this fails at your Step 1. You can't pick and choose "OS and related files "
~64GB are free currently. So if I'm understanding you correctly, I would need to free up space until the amount of storage used is less than the capacity of my new drive before partitioning and cloning... Bummer. Does anybody have experience "Moving Steam Library"? I'm wondering if I could free up the space I need to partition and clone that way

USAFRet

Titan
Moving your Steam lib is easy.

Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

To move an already installed game