[SOLVED] SSD compatibility

darebt123

Commendable
Jan 12, 2019
Is it possible for an SSD to be incompatible with windows 10 for example, but work well when windows 8 is installed on it?

Solution
The "performance profile" of a SSD largely depends on its hardware. So let me take a look at this one. Goldenfir SATA SSD from AliExpress?

Based on forum pictures it looks like the typical "Chinese" layout: OEM SM2258 w/DRAM and Samsung 64L (second tier) flash. You can find this in many drives: L5 Lite 3D, TC Sunbox X3, KingDian S280 (new), even better-known drives like the SU800 can use the SM2258 + Samsung TLC. However I'm not convinced this is the exact hardware - you can find out by checking the firmware revision in CrystalDiskInfo, then using a utility like VLO's to check the flash.

In any case, it may also have a small, static SLC. What capacity is this drive? At very low capacities (e.g. 120/128GB) you might have very little...
No. It is NOT possible.

What IS possible is that the EFI partition or boot manager are not getting replaced. I suggest that you READ and FOLLOW the guide found here, EXACTLY as outlined.

darebt123

Commendable
Jan 12, 2019
No. It is NOT possible.

What IS possible is that the EFI partition or boot manager are not getting replaced. I suggest that you READ and FOLLOW the guide found here, EXACTLY as outlined.

Darkbreeze, a splendid guide and tutorial, I hope it will help many people, but unfortunately I have already done all of this.
So i will pop the question here: Why is it that when I install a windows on my SSD all goes bad after filling it up at like 40% of it's capacity. Like literally everything starts to freeze, apps won't work, but now that i have the windows on my HDD i can fill up and overload the SSD and it still works, though I've noticed that after filling it up for like 30-40% the write speed suffered tragically.
It's an aliexpress Goldenfir SSD... I know it's not the best choice, but I'd want to figure if it's right to make a refund or not?

The "performance profile" of a SSD largely depends on its hardware. So let me take a look at this one. Goldenfir SATA SSD from AliExpress?

Based on forum pictures it looks like the typical "Chinese" layout: OEM SM2258 w/DRAM and Samsung 64L (second tier) flash. You can find this in many drives: L5 Lite 3D, TC Sunbox X3, KingDian S280 (new), even better-known drives like the SU800 can use the SM2258 + Samsung TLC. However I'm not convinced this is the exact hardware - you can find out by checking the firmware revision in CrystalDiskInfo, then using a utility like VLO's to check the flash.

In any case, it may also have a small, static SLC. What capacity is this drive? At very low capacities (e.g. 120/128GB) you might have very little cache and relatively slow base speeds, but this is not something you can easily check; if you have another SSD from which to write a large file you can check this however. Also, what are your CrystalDiskMark results like in this fuller state? What about the CDI SMART values for health/blocks? I have many questions.

Solution

darebt123

Commendable
Jan 12, 2019

In any case, it may also have a small, static SLC. What capacity is this drive? At very low capacities (e.g. 120/128GB) you might have very little cache and relatively slow base speeds, but this is not something you can easily check; if you have another SSD from which to write a large file you can check this however. Also, what are your CrystalDiskMark results like in this fuller state? What about the CDI SMART values for health/blocks? I have many questions.
Maxx, I am very grateful for your interest, I will do all the tests, and post them immediately!

darebt123

Commendable
Jan 12, 2019

View: https://imgur.com/a/3wCJatp

View: https://imgur.com/a/D91QwQM

I think this is everything, for some reason I think the speed isn't too far from when it was empty, but the file transfering slowed down to an average of 8 MB/s after filling the 30-40% of the capacity. Before that it was around 350, with some downspikes, depending on the files i presume.
Btw, the reason the SSD has drive C and D in the first picture, and drive E in the second is because my windows used to be on the SSD, now it's on my HDD.

The firmware is R0822A0 which relates to the SM2258XT (DRAM-less) most likely. The poor LQD 4K read result would support this. However, your drive is listed as 96% full, which with a SSD is going to bring terrible performance in general.

darebt123

Commendable
Jan 12, 2019
The firmware is R0822A0 which relates to the SM2258XT (DRAM-less) most likely. The poor LQD 4K read result would support this. However, your drive is listed as 96% full, which with a SSD is going to bring terrible performance in general.
My issue was that every time I would install windows 10 on the SSD, I would be able to go to like 30-40% of it's capacity before it would start breaking down.
For example I have this HDDscan test from that time:
View: https://imgur.com/a/joVvJYJ

Is there anything wrong with it? I really don't understand.. Now it works just fine without the OS on it.

HDDs and SSDs are different so you can't really use the same tools in the same way. Especially true with TLC drives because they have a limited amount of SLC caching, so a performance drop is expected. That being said: the SMART values listed in HD Tune differ from your CDI screenshot. So something is clearly wrong there.

darebt123

Commendable
Jan 12, 2019
HDDs and SSDs are different so you can't really use the same tools in the same way. Especially true with TLC drives because they have a limited amount of SLC caching, so a performance drop is expected. That being said: the SMART values listed in HD Tune differ from your CDI screenshot. So something is clearly wrong there.
Oh, perhaps I forgot to mention that I did the same test now that the OS is not on the SSD, the one from HDDscan (READ), it ended wonderfully, with all blocks read under 5MS, even at it's fullest state.