SSD crashing after cloning HDD

May 21, 2018
Hi Folks,

I recently cloned from a 3 TB HDD to a 500GB Samsung SSD 860 using Macrium Reflect for the clone SW.

Made sure it could fit as first step, so no worries there.

Seems to boot with no issue but after some time, anywhere from 10 minutes to a few hours it crashes on what looks like a Power issue according to the Windows logs, very strange.

This computer is an acer atc-710-eb61 with 13 x usbV3.0 HDD total of 74TB storage hanging off it.

If I switch back to the HDD instead of SSD, it never crashes.

Just to see if it was related to the SSD I used another brand ADATA 256GB and it basically had same issue.

I took the cloned SSD and installed it in a similar acer computer and it worked fine, never crashed.

The only thing I can think of here is it doesn't like all the disks hanging off the one that crashes, maybe something related to power and so many HDDs with the SSD. That would be bizarre but I guess anything is possible. Have not tried it without the 74TB attached yet..

Note:
I went through all the normal stuff like disabling the PCI Express, Link Power Management to OFF and made sure Power Plan didn't have anything enabled that may turn off power to the SSD for power saving modes as far as I know.

Any other ideas? thanks

USAFRet

Titan
1. Taking that drive out and putting it in a different system is no test of functionality.
Nor should that be done.

2. At the end of the cloning process, did you disconnect the old drive before powering up the first time with the SSD?
That is a usual cause of non-functionality.

Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
-----------------------------
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe as necessary.
Delete the 450MB Recovery Partition, here:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/4f1b84ac-b193-40e3-943a-f45d52e23685/cant-delete-extra-healthy-recovery-partitions-and-healthy-efi-system-partition?forum=w8itproinstall
-----------------------------

May 21, 2018

Yes, looks like what I did, except I never needed the HDD that I cloned from so I didn't have to reconnect it and do anything with it. I have cloned many servers in same method, only difference here is the # of USB disks attached as data drives. Thanks for your response.

May 21, 2018

Yes, also on a different SSD Brand, ADATA and SAMSUNG.

I have another Acer with same hardware except the extra USB disks which I used the cloned SSD on and it never crashes.

Jun 5, 2019
Had the god awful issue of cloning my HDD to SDD and have just had success after 5 days of going back at multiple attempts.

Every route I took using 3 different cloning apps resulted in the same issue, boot, login and it hangs after a couple of minutes. As all routes resulted in the same issue. I thought it must be the hard drive so I ran a storage test prior to the last clone attempt and the drive was fine.

So I had to go back to basics and tried the AHCI method which turned out to be the same.

Finally I decided to try safe mode with network support and there was no hanging and no problem but noticed something when going into safe mode. I use the pin option for quick startup and going into safe mode it disables it and request the standard login . Plus I also went into MSconfig (which pops up the old way) and disabled VMWare as a precaution.

Rebooted logged in with my password and Its been running now for over an hour with no glitch and now I'm going back to switch on VMWare and if still works I will reinitialise the pin. If I get any probs I'll update.