SSD disappearing from BIOS after Windows 10 crash

llysanth

Prominent
Oct 11, 2017
I recently built a new desktop with a fresh Windows 10 install. I bought Samsung's 960 Pro 1TB and it worked just fine. It is plugged into the M.2 slot that is located on the Motherboard. I had to plug it directly in using a half casing that the ASUS Prime X399-A motherboard came with. I was configuring software at the time and my computer crashed to the Windows 10 version of the blue screen of death. After gathering information for a restart it then went black screen and just hung there so I forced the computer to shut down by holding the power button. After powering it back on the M.2 SSD does not exist within the BIOS and since the stick is plugged directly into the motherboard I am unsure how I could go about the power cycling method I have read about, as it is an internal SSD. Sometimes when I power the computer on now the Monitor states that there is no DisplayPort Signal as well making it difficult to perform the Power Cycle for the M.2 SSD. I am desperate as I had zero chance to back anything up and my school documents had just been transferred over. My old desktop is way too out-of-date to even attempt to plug the SSD slot into it, being built back when Vista was commonplace. After having seen that SSDs are regularly disappearing from people's BIOS, I assumed that it was common knowledge so I contacted Samsung for a possible fix and they are telling me that it is not common at all and that the only fix is to RMA it to them to be repaired or replaced. Any help would be greatly appreciated and thank you ahead of time.

-Jason

Solution
Ah if I had a friend in a repair shop, I'd have done the same :) Yeah, if you can't detect it from within an enclosure, then it's a safe bet it's the drive itself that's toast and you might as well leave your mobo alone. It was a long shot anyway.
I'm not sure what to tell you about it running hot except that my ssd for example (which is not nvme so could be totally different) is set so that caching and defrag and all the background cleanup processes are run once the system is set to sleep. From within windows however, my ssd is set to never turn off for this very reason.
A different situation to be sure, but my point is just cause the rest of the system is off, doesn't mean the drive has to be, and it can run pretty warm. As to what...
NVME SSDs do not appear within the BIOS until Windows creates the system partition with the EFI Boot Sector. Your M.2 SSD contains UEFI driver information within the firmware. By disabling the CSM module Windows will read and utilize the M.2-specific UEFI driver.

llysanth

Prominent
Oct 11, 2017

-Sedivy
I have followed the steps except that it finds that there are no valid Windows installations on the computer as if it is unable to see the SSD. I even have attempted a fresh install and there is nothing listed when reaching the point at which you would choose the partition it would be installed onto.

llysanth

Prominent
Oct 11, 2017

-Calvin7
I am a bit confused Calvin7, I had already installed Windows 10 last week and the SSD has been working fine up until last night. Is there something in the BIOS that I need to change to get it to recognize it again as it already contains Windows 10. If it helps, this was a fresh install of Windows 10 on a freshly built desktop. All purchased and set up last week.

1. Since the M.2 SSD was performing problem-free prior to the BSOD shutdown during one of your operations, we'll assume that the M.2 SSD has been properly installed on the motherboard. (Incorrect installation of these M.2 SSDs are the cause of many problems we run into.)

2. I know you've indicated the SSD is not detected in the BIOS, but have you attempted to undertake a fresh reinstall of the Win 10 OS anyway, perhaps using the MS Media Creation Tool? If not, give it a try.

Sedivy

Estimable
Hmmm if it's unable to find it at all, and boot record isn't at fault, maybe....the bios got glitched or corrupted. You could try resetting it by taking out cmos battery for a bit and putting it back in, seeing if it makes a difference. If not, a bios update might help. A relatively recent version of your bios, less than a month old is out, and may help if there is any corruption. https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-X399-A/HelpDesk_Download/
Make sure you follow instructions on how to install it carefully as doing it incorrectly can brick your board.
If this doesn't help either, then I'd think of rma as it could be the drive itself.

llysanth

Prominent
Oct 11, 2017

-ArtPog
I did attempt a fresh install of Windows 10 today. It was when I was attempting the Master Boot Record Fix. After it showed no Windows 10 installation existed so I went for a fresh install only for it to show that no drive existed for me to install it onto. Unless I am misunderstanding the instructions.

llysanth

Prominent
Oct 11, 2017

-Sedivy
I appreciate the suggestion and will be attempting it. I will keep you updated on how it went. I should point out that I sucked in my pride and went to a local reputable computer repair store today as well, which is run by a friend of mine. He took out the SSD and plugged it into a NVMe converter to SATA only for it to not be detected at all. He tried both the USB connection it came with as well as the SATA power and data connectors plugged directly into the Power Supply and Motherboard respectively. Also, he showed me that even though it was not being detected it was running hot, which was strange for it not having been in the middle of doing anything. I am unsure if that is helpful. In the end, I have zero problem with the fact that it might need RMA'ed, but seeing as though it has been working for the past week I went ahead and transferred some incredibly important data onto it from my Norton backup. I had yet to set up a new backup profile on the new computer so that data is essentially gone, while extremely important. I will attempt the CMOS update as I have already tried removing the battery to reset the CMOS, but in the mean time is data recovery possible if required, and are there any suggestions?

Sedivy

Estimable
Ah if I had a friend in a repair shop, I'd have done the same :) Yeah, if you can't detect it from within an enclosure, then it's a safe bet it's the drive itself that's toast and you might as well leave your mobo alone. It was a long shot anyway.
I'm not sure what to tell you about it running hot except that my ssd for example (which is not nvme so could be totally different) is set so that caching and defrag and all the background cleanup processes are run once the system is set to sleep. From within windows however, my ssd is set to never turn off for this very reason.
A different situation to be sure, but my point is just cause the rest of the system is off, doesn't mean the drive has to be, and it can run pretty warm. As to what your ssd is actually doing, it's hard to say considering the issues. I'd definitely rma at this point because it's unlikely there's anything you can do.

Solution

llysanth

Prominent
Oct 11, 2017

-Sedivy
I appreciate the assistance all the same so thank you very much. I just had one last question. I had just downloaded all of my extremely important documents to the SSD prior to its failure. After doing so I was going to set up a new Backup Set to re-back them up. Problem is it failed before I could do so, meaning those documents are, as it stands, gone. I cannot afford to lose them as they are too important and irreplaceable in some instances. I've read that data recovery from a SSD is possible but the location I found that could make it happen is extremely expensive. Do you have any suggestions in that regard?

Sedivy

Estimable
Unfortunately I've never recovered data from an ssd. I can tell you from the standard hdds that it is very expensive but when it's data you cannot lose, there's nothing to do but fork over the $$$ and I've done this before.
SSDs are still a bit too pricey for me, and so far I've only done small size ones for system use, that I can easily wipe and reinstall without any loss of data on my storage drives so I can't really comment on the prices.