Question SSD dissapearing from my system. Only letting my PC go into sleep mode gets it back.

Apr 19, 2023
tldr: SSD stops being detected by anything but the BIOS. Only letting my PC go into sleep mode gets it back. The drive itself does NOT seem to be failing and works perfectly fine with 98% health and no errors.

I have an old 120gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD where i have my OS (Windows 10) installed. I've had this for almost ten years now with no issues.

I also have a 1tb 850 EVO SSD just for gaming.

Recently i bought a 1TB M.2 NVME, new RAM, MOBO and CPU, GPU and after a while i started experiencing some weirdness.

Namely, my EVO 850 completely dissapears from my system. Like as if it wasn't there... It cannot be detected by anything, only by the BIOS. The M.2 however, remains.

It took me a while to figure out how to get it back reliably, and it requires me to let my PC go into sleep mode then turning it back on, in which case i always get it back. But if i simply restart, or shut my PC off manually, it dissapears again until i put it into sleep mode again. Taking out the CMOS battery also works but the same thing happens. It doesn't matter if the battery is in or not, after a manual restart, the drive dissapears completely. Outside of that, i can access everything on the drive and it seems to be working fine.

I *could* live with this, but after a period of using my computer with the 850, i start to experience small stuttering. Like, even if i'm not playing games, just listening to youtube, i get this micro stuttering. Restarting my PC fixes it (for a while). It doesn't seem to come back with just the M.2 visible, if i don't put my PC into sleep mode to get my 850 back.

Both the 840 and 850 have the latest firmware. I also have the very latest SATA controller drivers.

Games also started to randomly crash my PC, though not too often. No BSOD, instead everything simply freezes and my PC restarts itself (making my 850 EVO dissapear once again.) This and the micro stuttering might have been related to my old GPU, since it died a few days ago but i don't know at this point.

Could the M.2 be interferring somehow? I have since tried it in every slot (i have 4 on my MOBO) as well as trying different sata cables and ports for the 850. Nothing worked. I even did a complete and clean reinstall of my OS (though i did not wipe the 850. Should i? It only has games on it) Also it does not show up even if i don't have the M.2 plugged in.

I even swapped the PSU (same model, borrowed from a friend). Nothing.

I checked the drive health with EaseUS and both drives show up as "Good". The 850 has 98% and the 840 has 53% status. The built in Windows tools to check for drive health also show them as good. Could the 840 with my OS on be dying? Should i completely reformat the 850? Maybe flash my BIOS or something somehow? I'm pretty clueless when it comes to that sort of thing, i seem to be on the latest firmware though.

My theory is that for some reason, somehow my PC doesn't initialize it during it's normal boot.

I'm stumped. Please help me or give me some clue as to what could be happening.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
tldr: SSD stops being detected by anything but the BIOS. Only letting my PC go into sleep mode gets it back. The drive itself does NOT seem to be failing and works perfectly fine with 98% health and no errors.

I have an old 120gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD where i have my OS (Windows 10) installed. I've had this for almost ten years now with no issues.

I also have a 1tb 850 EVO SSD just for gaming.

Recently i bought a 1TB M.2 NVME, new RAM, MOBO and CPU, GPU and after a while i started experiencing some weirdness.

Namely, my EVO 850 completely dissapears from my system. Like as if it wasn't there... It cannot be detected by anything, only by the BIOS. The M.2 however, remains.

It took me a while to figure out how to get it back reliably, and it requires me to let my PC go into sleep mode then turning it back on, in which case i always get it back. But if i simply restart, or shut my PC off manually, it dissapears again until i put it into sleep mode again. Taking out the CMOS battery also works but the same thing happens. It doesn't matter if the battery is in or not, after a manual restart, the drive dissapears completely. Outside of that, i can access everything on the drive and it seems to be working fine.

I *could* live with this, but after a period of using my computer with the 850, i start to experience small stuttering. Like, even if i'm not playing games, just listening to youtube, i get this micro stuttering. Restarting my PC fixes it (for a while). It doesn't seem to come back with just the M.2 visible, if i don't put my PC into sleep mode to get my 850 back.

Both the 840 and 850 have the latest firmware. I also have the very latest SATA controller drivers.

Games also started to randomly crash my PC, though not too often. No BSOD, instead everything simply freezes and my PC restarts itself (making my 850 EVO dissapear once again.) This and the micro stuttering might have been related to my old GPU, since it died a few days ago but i don't know at this point.

Could the M.2 be interferring somehow? I have since tried it in every slot (i have 4 on my MOBO) as well as trying different sata cables and ports for the 850. Nothing worked. I even did a complete and clean reinstall of my OS (though i did not wipe the 850. Should i? It only has games on it) Also it does not show up even if i don't have the M.2 plugged in.

I even swapped the PSU (same model, borrowed from a friend). Nothing.

I checked the drive health with EaseUS and both drives show up as "Good". The 850 has 98% and the 840 has 53% status. The built in Windows tools to check for drive health also show them as good. Could the 840 with my OS on be dying? Should i completely reformat the 850? Maybe flash my BIOS or something somehow? I'm pretty clueless when it comes to that sort of thing, i seem to be on the latest firmware though.

My theory is that for some reason, somehow my PC doesn't initialize it during it's normal boot.

I'm stumped. Please help me or give me some clue as to what could be happening.
Did you do a fresh windows install after changing all the parts?

TRENDING THREADS