[SOLVED] SSD doesn't appear as a boot option after a RAM upgrade ?

joser0913

Prominent
Nov 10, 2019
The SSD shows in the BIOS and you can even see the Windows Boot Manager but it doesn't start Windows 10 Pro. Computer was working just fine until I changed from an 8 GB Oloy RAM module to a pair of XPG D50s 8x2 GB. The motherboard is a Gigabyte H410M H, the CPU is 10100f. Everything seems fine on BIOS. I can boot from the Windows installation flashdrive and attemp to install Windows again but I'm not sure that's the issue here. The CMOS has been cleared using the jumper incluided.

Does anyone knows what to do?

Solution
Check your boot order. Usually their is a separate order for device types and hard drives.

So, even if hard drive is listed first in the order. Of your hard drives. Your SSD must be the first in that list. As BIOS will often ignore every other hard drive besides the first hard drive.

Also if you have multiple hard drives. If more than one was installed when Windows was installed. Windows will place the EFI partition on another drive besides the boot drive. So, you'll need to figure out which drive that is. Placing it first in the hard drive order instead. As the EFI partition is what tells the computer where the OS is located.

I'd also try toying with turning Legacy boot on/off. In case Windows was installed in Legacy rather than EFI...
Check your boot order. Usually their is a separate order for device types and hard drives.

So, even if hard drive is listed first in the order. Of your hard drives. Your SSD must be the first in that list. As BIOS will often ignore every other hard drive besides the first hard drive.

Also if you have multiple hard drives. If more than one was installed when Windows was installed. Windows will place the EFI partition on another drive besides the boot drive. So, you'll need to figure out which drive that is. Placing it first in the hard drive order instead. As the EFI partition is what tells the computer where the OS is located.

I'd also try toying with turning Legacy boot on/off. In case Windows was installed in Legacy rather than EFI mode.

Solution