[SOLVED] SSD Drive Install Question Problem

dadalka

Commendable
Nov 30, 2021
I'm running a Asus ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WIFI D4 Motherboard. I have three Sata drives running now. One Sata drive is C: drive I wamt to replace it with a Crucial P5 2TB PCIe M.2 2280SS SSD. Which slot do I use and will there be a problem reading my other two Sata drives which are used for storage. One is storage and one is for using VMWare for Linux.

dadalka

Commendable
Nov 30, 2021
The reason I'm asking if the Sata Drives will still read is when I installed the mother board I couldn't get the main sata drive to boot and Asus support couldn't figure it out. They refereed me to Microsoft which was a hand off. New drive configuration would be C;\Win11 (SSD), D:\ Data (Sata), E:\Virtual Drive (Sata). Do you see a problem in doing it this way.

USAFRet

Titan
The reason I'm asking if the Sata Drives will still read is when I installed the mother board I couldn't get the main sata drive to boot and Asus support couldn't figure it out. They refereed me to Microsoft which was a hand off. New drive configuration would be C;\Win11 (SSD), D:\ Data (Sata), E:\Virtual Drive (Sata). Do you see a problem in doing it this way.
Yes, the drives will still read.

But if you transplanted a drive+OS from a different system, not booting in the new system is a common outcome.

A new motherboard generally requires a fresh Windows OS install.
Linux is more forgiving.

rwh531

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
Yes, the drives will still read.

But if you transplanted a drive+OS from a different system, not booting in the new system is a common outcome.

A new motherboard generally requires a fresh Windows OS install.
Linux is more forgiving.

I am using the same board he is and i believe sata 5 and 6 get disabled with the use of certain nvme slots, also windows 11 seems to be much more forgiving when it comes to transplanting a drive without reinstalling windows