SSD for netbook (asus 1015pem or similar)

zacariaz

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
Hi all.

For a long time I've been pondering to start a little project of mine, which basically involves achieving perfection. That is taking a rather limited hardware platform, working out all of the bottlenecks, tailoring a linux distribution for it, and so on and so forth.

So initially I decided on the asus eee 1015pem and the intel atom n550 cpu, but with the release of the n570, who knows what is going to happen. I would really like that 4gb of RAM, but so far I've been unable to draw a conclusion whether this will actually be possible. If not, I'll just go for the n550.

But to get to the point.

Obviously I need an SSD. If you asked me some time ago, my answer would have been clear. The Intel x25-e, however I'm no longer in touch with the market and have also considered that a lot of money can probably be saved, as most likely there is a limit as to how "extreme" of an SSD, this hardware platform will actually be able to utilize.

So, I'm asking you now, what SSD would you recommend for this project?

I'd like so say that money isn't an issue, though of course it is, but please do make the assumption that it isn't anyway.

The OS it will be running will be Gentoo linux, so I suppose, with a lot of compiling and such, IO operations will be a factor.

The storage capacity is no a factor however. As low as 2-4gb could probably do.

Guess that's it. I do hope that you'll take this cry for help seriously and I'll look forward to reading your response.

Best regards.

wilsonbradley

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
Im wondering the same thing. Im running dual boot Win7 / Ubuntu
I want to back up everything so I figure now is the best time to get an SSD. Just image everything from Stock HD to SDD and keep the other on hand.
I saw some Seagate Momentus XT 500 GB 2.5 Inch Solid State Hybrid Drive ST95005620AS
Hybrid? They are cheaper ..

Not sure what to get for a good price

LordConrad

Distinguished

A good single-drive alternative to a SSD + HDD caching setup, but nowhere near as fast as a standalone SSD. Unless you need the higher capacity, skip the hybrid drives and go with the SSD.