SSD frozen state and cant undo

Hiddenblade

Reputable
Apr 30, 2015
it is a samsung 850 evo 250 gb and i got it and pluged it in and it said it was frozen. Ive tried
restarting it a bunch of times ive tried the boot medium on the flash drive and i tried just powering off and back on and nothing. no matter what it wont unfreeze. Please help if you can!
Thanks

Hey there, Hiddenblade.

I'd recommend that you try the drive with a different computer, or at least with a different SATA port and SATA cable, to see if the same thing happens. If you connect it to a different computer, you could try downloading an SSD diagnostic tool, to test it and see if there's anything wrong with it.
Where exactly do you see this error and what does it say exactly?

Hope that helps. Let me know how everything goes.
Boogieman_WD

Hiddenblade

Reputable
Apr 30, 2015

Samsung magician says the attached ssd is in a frozen state and i cant secure erase it at all it just sas to unplug it and replug it in. Thats not working

Samsung Magician says that my drive is in a “frozen state” when I try to perform a Secure Erase in Dos mode. What can I do?
If you run into the ‘Frozen state’ message during a secure erase, unplug the SATA power cable from the SSD, wait a few seconds, and plug it in again without turning the PC power off.
Type “SEGUI0.exe” at the command prompt to run the Magician DOS utility again. Execute secure erase again.

That was directly from samsung's website. Are you unplugging it with the pc still on like it suggests?

Hiddenblade

Reputable
Apr 30, 2015

Yeah and it says secure erase succesful but then it just reboots and still says its frozen

Don't know if this resolves the issue but see...
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2310591/ssd-frozen-state-repair.html
for Palorim's solution.

Palorim12

Distinguished
Magician only says frozen state when you attempt to Secure Erase. Once you've secure erased, the drive goes back to its factory blank state. You have to go into disk management and initialize and format the drive from that point.

Also, there's nothing on the drive when you first buy it, it comes in an uninitialized state. So there is no reason to Secure Erase.

If all else fails it would probably be best that you contact their customer support and ask about RMA. Even if it's normal for the SSD to go in that state, it should be able to recover. Having in mind everything you've tried until now hasn't worked, it might mean that it's faulty.