SSD Frozen State repair help!

badminkey

Reputable
Jul 14, 2014
I have an SSD 840 evo 250gb and I accidentally cloned some programmes on to it from my HDD, so I tried using Samsungs magician tool's secure erase to completely wipe it, but its constantly in a Frozen State.

I have done what the tool has advised and taken out the sata power cable, but it still wants to be in the dire Frozen State. Any help would be appreciated!

Solution
In the secure erase tab, there should be an option to create a bootable cd/dvd or usb.

Upon burning the disc or making the bootable USB with that program, shut down the computer.

Power on your machine and ensure to boot from the Bootable media by entering your BIOS or accessing your boot sequence. You should enter Samsung SSD Secure Erase Utility, will display a warning message. Type ‘Y’ to accept and continue forward. At that point the application will scan for your SSD and allow you to choose it once scanning is complete. If you receive a message saying that your drive is in a “frozen state”, you will have to perform a Power Cycle (which is disconnecting the SSD from both data and power ports, waiting 3 – 5 seconds, and reconnecting...

Palorim12

Distinguished
In the secure erase tab, there should be an option to create a bootable cd/dvd or usb.

Upon burning the disc or making the bootable USB with that program, shut down the computer.

Power on your machine and ensure to boot from the Bootable media by entering your BIOS or accessing your boot sequence. You should enter Samsung SSD Secure Erase Utility, will display a warning message. Type ‘Y’ to accept and continue forward. At that point the application will scan for your SSD and allow you to choose it once scanning is complete. If you receive a message saying that your drive is in a “frozen state”, you will have to perform a Power Cycle (which is disconnecting the SSD from both data and power ports, waiting 3 – 5 seconds, and reconnecting the drive to the ports again). After the Power Cycle has been completed, the program will allow you to continue. Press ‘Y’ to start Secure Erase. If you are placed into a black DOS screen Samsung SECERASE with a blinking cursor, you need to enter the syntax command ‘SEGUI0’ (that is a zero).

If that command yields a distorted screen try segui0 /s (type a space then /s). Once the command is executed, you will be brought back to the FreeDOS Utility to continue onward. Continue with the prompts by pressing the ‘Y’ key until Secure Erase is finished.

Once the operation is complete, hit the ‘Esc’ key to exit the DOS environment and power down your system.

Solution

Palorim12...
In another post...http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2622561/ssd-frozen-state.html#xtor=EPR-8809

...a user complained that his Samsung 850 EVO SSD, connected as a secondary drive, was reported to be in a "frozen state" and that he was unable to use the secure erase process.

I responded to his post referring him to your solution as stated above.

Another responder subsequently posted the following...
"SSD are usually in so called frozen state to ensure that nobody can alter your drive settings, like putting a password on it to high jack your drive. A power cycle after BIOS Post usually allows to secure erase your SSD in DOS/Linux"

I've worked with at least four different Samsung SSDs over the past few years - in a number of instances the SSD was connected as a secondary drive and accessed many, many times. I've never run into this "frozen state" problem.

I would appreciate your comments.

Palorim12

Distinguished

whenever i do a secure erase on an SSD, i make sure its the only drive attached to the system. Also, in my experience, every drive is in a "frozen state" when you attempt to Secure Erase it.

Hiddenblade

Reputable
Apr 30, 2015

It didnt work. Im going to have to send it back thanks though

alanrs

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2007
I had the same problem ssd frozen state but i had downloaded the latest samsung magician 4.6 after trying all the info that i found on the net and nothing worked. I got to thinking old drive 840 as opposed to 850 so i went and downloaded Samsung magician 4.4 and it worked with ease no frozen state and straight into the full clean.

aromero1911

Reputable
Dec 10, 2015
Had the same problem with an 850 PRO on an Intel NUC. Whenever I disconnected and reconnected the cable from the motherboard, the NUC restarted and I always came back to the same "Frozen State" message.

Turns out if I disconnect the cable from the drive (NOT THE MOTHERBOARD), it worked out fine and I was able to erase the drive.