Question SSD jumps to 100% under GPU load and freeze Windows

NotSoFunnyClown

Honorable
May 17, 2019
I'm despair on a strange problem. :cautious:

My system runs since almost 2 years without any problems. Since about a few weeks I got the problem that when I'm playing a game like overwatch, after a few minutes, textures and 3D models starting to disappear. After a while the whole game will freeze. When I try to tap out the window the other applications in the background starting to freeze and becoming unresponsive.

First thing that came to my head was the RAM. But after I opened the task manager, I saw that the main SSD (Samsung 960 Pro m.2 on DIMM.2) "active time" jumped to 100% and stays that high.

Then I have tried to reproduce this behaivor. I can easily do it when I run Furmark on both GPUs. After a few seconds, SSD jumps to 100% and applications starting to freeze. The strange thing is, it will not happen when I only use one GPU. But it's not one of both GPUs that produce this problem. I've tried GPU 1 and 2 separately without any problems. when I use both, yea... you know.

It's not a temperature problem. Both GPUs run under water.
The SSD temperature is on a normal level.
The system is not OC

How to reproduce:
  1. Run Furmark at highest settings to push both GPUs to 100% load
  2. Run AS SSD Benchmark
  3. Right at sequential benchmark, "active time" jumps to 100% and system starts freezing

What I've already tried to fix this behavior:
  • Installed the newest GPU driver and one of February
  • Removed Norton Anti-Virus
  • Check the system for malware
  • Installed all current drivers from the Asus website
  • Installed Samsung NVMe Driver 3.0, 3.1 and the Windows NVMe default driver
  • Closed all background applications before testing
  • Switched from BIOS1 running UEFI 1704 to BIOS2 running on UEFI 0802
  • Reset UEFI settings on 1704 to default
  • DIMM.2 over PCH instead CPU
  • Disable SuperFetch
  • Disable PCIe power saving in Windows
  • Updated Windows 10 to 1903
  • Samsung Magician says "State: Good" and "Newest firmware installed"
  • Clean Windows install
  • Switched to a new SSD (970 Pro)
  • Memtest86 runs without any errors
  • Updated UEFI to 1902

PC-Specs:
  • CPU: Intel Core i9-7900X (delidded)
  • Motherboard: Asus ROG Rampage VI Extreme (UEFI 1704)
  • RAM: G.SKill TridentZ RGB 64GB
  • GPU: 2x EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti K|NGP|N Hydro Copper
  • SSD 1: Samsung 970 Pro M.2 1TB (on DIMM.2 Socket; newest firmware)
  • SSD 2: Samsung 850 PRO 2.5" 2TB
  • PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2
  • SLI-Bridge: ZOTAC SLI HB Bridge / 2 Slot
Any ideas, what the problem could be? The whole behavior makes no sense for me.

Thank you :geek:

WaltzWorker

Reputable
Mar 18, 2015
"I can easily do it when I run Furmark on both GPUs. After a few seconds, SSD jumps to 100% and applications starting to freeze. The strange thing is, it will not happen when I only use one GPU. But it's not one of both GPUs that produce this problem. I've tried GPU 1 and 2 separately without any problems. when I use both, yea... "
Looks like you've done a lot. Okay - have you tried running the tests without the SSD?!? If its fine - then there are two possibilities - Your Motherboards controller - or the SSD... Got another SSD to put there?!? If so do it and see how it responds... If its okay then its the SSD, if not then its the controller on the Motherboard.
You could try another M.2 Slot - as it looks like you have another one on your MB.
Move it over to the "M.2 sockets (M.2_2(Socket 3))" slot by the PCI connectors - under the shroud. This motherboard like others do share PCI lanes so GPU may drop to X8.... Just to keep in mind when you test.
Don't forget that these M.2 units are fairly delicate... Just saying.
If its fine there - then put it back in the first slot and test again - should fail - that would indicate that it is the MB and you should RMA it.