[SOLVED] ssd lifespan

ppdemo

Distinguished
May 15, 2013
Is it necessary to move the temporary folders of Windows 10 to a second HDD disk, having an SSD disk, to extend its life cycle, or is this unnecessary today?
Because I have read that even subjecting the ssd to large gb of writings a day, it would take many years to degrade

I am curious. Did you happen to read a very old article or forum post about moving temporary folders from an ssd to a hard drive? It has been quite a few years since I last heard that recommendation.

Tom's Hardware published the very first ssd review in 2006. It was a Samsung prototype that never made it to market because of numerous problems. During those early days moving the temporary files to a hard drive was one of the techniques used to help increase ssd endurance. Fortunately ssd technology, performance, and endurance have improved quite a bit. It is no longer necessary to move the temporary files.

I have maintained a public service ssd database for about 10 years now. Originally the database only included the length of the warranty. The warranties are typically either 3 years or 5 years. Due to visitor requests I added ssd endurance usually expressed as "Terabytes Written" (TBW). I also added "Mean Time Between Failure" (MTBF).

It is suggested that the endurance and mean time between failure are conservative estimates.

Reactions: PC Tailor
My oldest SSD, a Crucial MX100, has had the crap hammered out of it as a laptop drive, at ~50 TB written to the drive, is still at 95% of its rated lifespan.

SSD longevity is not a concern these days, even with TLC memory on drives. Use the drive to its full benefit - swap file, temp files, etc, as it will dramatically speed up everyday usage of your computer.