Question SSD Or HDD?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

atifpolitici

Honorable
May 24, 2018
Hello Everyone,

I was wondering, whether you could please help me? I have found out that an Xbox Series X, doesn't require a game capture card to record footage, you can now capture footage by plugging an external hard drive or SSD, into the back. I was wondering which is the best choice for recording 4K footage for myself, not YouTube purpose? HDD or SSD? And what's a good size? So I used to have a NAS system with 3TB! But isn't that expensive for SSD?

Thank you!

atifpolitici

Honorable
May 24, 2018
I am not so sure surveillance drives last any longer than others. Mostly the difference is they are designed to perform a bit better when the traffic is mostly write traffic and much less read. They are used mostly with security camera systems where you save the data but in most cases never look at it and it just gets over written.

I have had a couple wd purple drives in constant use for about 5 years.

If your goal is to just write say game screen capture to them they likely will be fine. You don't actually want to play games on them. It will work but other types of drives work better that are not optimized for write traffic.
Exactly, I'll be using the Windows Xbox Bar to capture game recording footage, then I'll change the save / record location to the surveillance drive. I won't be putting it inside PC, as I have a docking station

USAFRet

Titan
Exactly, I'll be using the Windows Xbox Bar to capture game recording footage, then I'll change the save / record location to the surveillance drive. I won't be putting it inside PC, as I have a docking station
The surv drives are designed for constant recording, like from a camera.
Not the intermittent use you are going to do.

Will it work? Sure. Not better or worse than any other.

atifpolitici

Honorable
May 24, 2018
The surv drives are designed for constant recording, like from a camera.
Not the intermittent use you are going to do.

Will it work? Sure. Not better or worse than any other.
Thanks for your point, it's always after 3 to 4 years my disks are dying. I'm fed up so I'm looking for something robust, plus surveillance drives come with a 3 year warranty, more longer than a standard drive. I won't read from the drive, just record, I plan to replay and record a whole game, so it'll be a lot of data written.

atifpolitici

Honorable
May 24, 2018
3 years IS a standard warranty length.
Across all hard drive ranges and types? I'm from the UK by the way, looking at Amazon UK, I have found a standard Seagate drive, to come with a 2 year warranty, and surveillance an extra year, but Seagate Rescue is also included for 3 years, and I paid £49 for surveillance drive.

atifpolitici

Honorable
May 24, 2018
I am not so sure surveillance drives last any longer than others. Mostly the difference is they are designed to perform a bit better when the traffic is mostly write traffic and much less read. They are used mostly with security camera systems where you save the data but in most cases never look at it and it just gets over written.

I have had a couple wd purple drives in constant use for about 5 years.

If your goal is to just write say game screen capture to them they likely will be fine. You don't actually want to play games on them. It will work but other types of drives work better that are not optimized for write traffic.
I called WD and Seagate today and the conversation, that followed was really interesting. I told them all of my drives always lasted 3 years, so I want an endurance drive for gameplay recording, and I told Seagate I ordered Surveillance drive, amazingly he said that's the correct choice, I said I choose it because I can write a lot, he said that's what it's made for. On the other hand I called WD and they told me about SSD, I said I wasn't interested in them, because backblaze data showed them to be as equally reliable as HDD, the agent said you've done your research and good points you have, but kept pushing SSD'S LOL, how interesting!?

USAFRet

Titan
I called WD and Seagate today and the conversation, that followed was really interesting. I told them all of my drives always lasted 3 years, so I want an endurance drive for gameplay recording, and I told Seagate I ordered Surveillance drive, amazingly he said that's the correct choice, I said I choose it because I can write a lot, he said that's what it's made for. On the other hand I called WD and they told me about SSD, I said I wasn't interested in them, because backblaze data showed them to be as equally reliable as HDD, the agent said you've done your research and good points you have, but kept pushing SSD'S LOL, how interesting!?
Both the WD and Seagate 'reps' said that just to get you off the phone as soon as possible.

You have never worked a help desk :)
They are rated in how fast they close tickets....not so much if they actually resolved the problem or provide the actual correct information.

In most cases the problem with a hard drive is physical or maybe heat related. It does not sound like your traffic is actually the same as a surveillance drive. It seem you will only be writing to it when you are playing games.
A drive that can be powered off when you are not using it would likely increase the life span. Not sure I mostly run ssd and the only real hard drives I use are in a actual security camera system where surveillance drives are optimum.

Reactions: atifpolitici

atifpolitici

Honorable
May 24, 2018
You have never worked a help desk :)
They are rated in how fast they close tickets....not so much if they actually resolved the problem or provide the actual correct information.

In most cases the problem with a hard drive is physical or maybe heat related. It does not sound like your traffic is actually the same as a surveillance drive. It seem you will only be writing to it when you are playing games.
A drive that can be powered off when you are not using it would likely increase the life span. Not sure I mostly run ssd and the only real hard drives I use are in a actual security camera system where surveillance drives are optimum.
Your first point is true Sir, I haven't worked in help desk, would I have been better of then getting IronWolf or WD Black then? What I'm frustrated by is it always seems my drives last 3 years all the time from smart data, would WD Gold do it for me too?

atifpolitici

Honorable
May 24, 2018
2 bay Synology, $310
https://www.amazon.com/Synology-Bay-DiskStation-DS220-Diskless/dp/B087ZCBWFH

Add drives of your preference for size and budget.
So my surveillance HDD came today and I mounted it in my case, I can't even tell when it's on, it's 5,900 RPM super quiet, and at one point for a test, after recording game video and moving file from HDD to SSD, it literally said 1GBPS transfer speed, that's insane, I should have took a picture. As a test moving video back from SSD to HDD resulted in a weird scenario, where at least twice transfer rate rapidly dropped down to zero, could my SSD be dying? My system built only this year is acting up a bit and I suffered a little data corruption some days ago!?