[SOLVED] Ssd or sshd power consumption

Gamer_X

Honorable
Dec 1, 2016
I want a secondary storage for my laptop and have found two a Samsung ssd 1tb and an sshd firecuda 2tb but I am confused about which to choose speed is not a major concern but I've heard that sshd require more power and tend to heat up is this true?

thank you

Solution
Both heat up.
SSD's use less power because they have no moving parts. The faster the drive's performance is, the more heat it creates.
SSHD is a normal harddrive with a small SSD integrated which the drive uses as a cache buffer. Heat is not much different then a normal HDD.

I assume this is a Samsung 860 or 870 you're looking at? Since you don't need performance, you might want to look at the Crucial BX500 and save yourself another $20 (roughly)

popatim

Titan
Both heat up.
SSD's use less power because they have no moving parts. The faster the drive's performance is, the more heat it creates.
SSHD is a normal harddrive with a small SSD integrated which the drive uses as a cache buffer. Heat is not much different then a normal HDD.

I assume this is a Samsung 860 or 870 you're looking at? Since you don't need performance, you might want to look at the Crucial BX500 and save yourself another $20 (roughly)

Solution