Question SSD possibly dead, can only use in read only mode

Spawnova

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2013
I was installing a game when my entire computer became unresponsive, task manager would not come up, ctrl+alt+del did nothing at all and everything was frozen, holding the power button down did nothing and I was forced to hit the switch on the PSU
Upon restarting my computer would not boot at all, turns out the ssd I was installing the game on was causing this problem so I unplugged it and everything works just fine on the computer, I plug the ssd back in but it again freezes my computer until I unplug it.

I have it now hooked up to a laptop and it seems the freeze happens for about 10-15 minutes until the computer gives up trying to read the drive and just lists as Storage (D:) with no capacity, in disk management it shows as raw partition with correct capacity but showing that it's 100% empty.
using diskpart and selecting the volume as read only all of a sudden shows the drive correctly in the drive list, and I now i can access it and copy over data, a few files so far have been corrupted but it seems to be working fine, if I turn read only off it goes back to freezing my computer and not working

I've tried chkdsk but I get unspecified error at stage 2 name linking, I tried to reformat but that also returns an error.

So my question is, is there anyway to salvage this situation? it's still under warranty so I can get it replaced, but due to samsungs warranty terms they do not replace it with a new unit, but instead a verified working refurbished one, so I'm a bit hesitant

Can samsung magician check out the ssd?
I have heard of reports of such devices that have been worn out by chia mining being sold as new.
I would not worry about whatever samsung returns to you.
Refurb units are usually perfectly good new units that have been returned for whatever reason.

Spawnova

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2013
Hey thanks for the reply, I wasn't aware of samsung magician but I downloaded it and it was not able to recognize the drive, even though I am currently backing up data from it, possibly because it's through usb connection, not sure...
I'm just so confused as to why it works fine in read only mode, but completely unusable otherwise =\

Ultimately I went through with the warranty return, I got all the data off that I needed so It's not a huge deal, I am just stumped on what happened