SSD Prices Falling Faster Than HDD Prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

dickcheney

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
[citation][nom]gavenr[/nom]good to see. I would rather spend money on processor's and videocards.[/citation]

The gains in Windows general snappiness are worth it. I never looked back and never would.

What amazes me is just how quickly they chew through the bandwidth standards. When they first came out remember they were no faster (and often slower) than a HDD. The idea was that they were going to be for low power devices that required very little space. Within months they saturated the SATA standard, and within 2 years they saturated SATA2. When SATA3 came out it just took 2-3 months to saturate that as well, and we know that is where the bottleneck is because there are already drives that max (or close to max) out the PCIe2 x4 standard!
When I first started video editing 'way back' in 98 RAID was required to sustain the ~40MB/s required for 2 video streams, and you needed those 2 drives in at least RAID0 to have enough space. ~2002 you could do the same thing on a single drive, and have one large enough to store a project on a single drive. Things progressed rapidly until 1TB drives came out, which could sustain a good 60-80MB/s. But the build has been rather slow after that, and now most HDDs can only push a sustained 120-140MB/s, compared to the 550MB/s of an SSD. Seek times on HDDs have always hovered around 8ms, and have never really improved, while the SSDs are 0ms. It really is mind blowing to look back at.

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
[citation][nom]amdfangirl[/nom]Now all we need is better Btfs support on Linux for the mass proliferation of SSDs.[/citation]
Yeah because we all know that the masses use linux everyday...

mrmaia

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
If HDD prices dropped as fast as SSD's, they would be practically free today. HDDs are close to reaching their price asymptotes, and won't fade away from the market in the next years - especially with ever-increasing media file sizes and internet bandwidth.

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
Its interesting to see the actual numbers, but this should be blatantly obvious to anyone as there are higher prices (and likely margins) to play with in RAM, and the transistor densities and production processes shrinking drastically, the technology has an obvious future whereas with magnetic discs, they need to invent a completely new way or organizing, writing and accessing those blocks of data before there can be huge technological leaps.

Soul_keeper

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Many of the SSD prices have been going up the past few months from where i'm sitting.
ie: holiday demand is high

The M4 is more expensive than it was in october for example.

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]Any articles about the "heat assisted recording"? I'm very interested in this and as yet can't find anything.[/citation]
(JEDI gesture) This information is not useful to you...
(unless you're a HD manufacturer)

custodian-1

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2010
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]Any articles about the "heat assisted recording"? I'm very interested in this and as yet can't find anything.[/citation]

Heat-assisted magnetic recording (HAMR)

A dollar per GB wouldn't be a bad buy now.... worth waiting for, atleast most people will be able to afford one for their frequently used programs and data stuff. I think it's worth the wait.
I bought mine for around 4$/GB so it'll be a welcome change if I got the another one at 1$/GB. That would be a good idea to RAID them out then.

rawful

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
[citation][nom]snotling[/nom]Yeah because we all know that the masses use linux everyday...[/citation]

Just like we all know the masses know about the differences between hard drive technologies or are willing to pay so much more for less space.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]mrmaia[/nom]If HDD prices dropped as fast as SSD's, they would be practically free today. HDDs are close to reaching their price asymptotes, and won't fade away from the market in the next years - especially with ever-increasing media file sizes and internet bandwidth.[/citation]
True: Hard drives prices will probably not drop further than their 2011 historical lows (pre floods), due to material costs... But that belittles the fact that the density will continue to increase. Hence, a hard drive 3 years from now, will still go for $50-$150, but the price per GB will drom from $0.07/gb to $0.10/tb...

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]rawful[/nom]Just like we all know the masses know about the differences between hard drive technologies or are willing to pay so much more for less space.[/citation]
Surely more than 0.8% though
With a good EFI instead of a traditional BIOS, no swap file and lots of RAM, then add an SSD boot drive with approx 500mb read and you can pretty much have a desktop PC with "instant-on", long term bulk storage will always be the reserve of traditional hard drives but for the speed benefits to the whole system you MUST get an SSD

sissysue

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
Good to see, when low enough (.75Mb or so) I will do an upgrade to my gaming rig, but still use my 750Gb WD as a second drive. My HD is the slowest part in it according to the Windows experience index/test

mrmaia

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
[citation][nom]sissysue[/nom]Good to see, when low enough (.75Mb or so) I will do an upgrade to my gaming rig, but still use my 750Gb WD as a second drive. My HD is the slowest part in it according to the Windows experience index/test[/citation]

Screw that index.

Status
Not open for further replies.