SSD purchase: Intel 330 or M4 - basic use Linux OS

coolguy80

Honorable
May 6, 2012
Hi,
I have Debian Gnu/Linux as My current Desktop Operating System for many years now. this will be My first SSD experience.

I am confused to choose between sf-2281(Sandforce) Intel 330 series 120GB SSD drive and Crucial M4 drive.

I hope performance can be restored to pristine condition(~100%) by TRIM,Garbage collection in Sandforce based SSDs? I read a claim in a review and shown this(below pic) as how TRIM fails to improve performance.
16054974b842b4b640d7c3dff6748627a8a61c43.png

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5508/intel-ssd-520-review-cherryville-brings-reliability-to-sandforce/7

queries:

* I use a Debian repository which have daily updates like 30-50MB or sometimes more. even if I delay the updates for a week, it will add to some amount. These packages are downloaded,extracted and installed. Will it wear the system more than Windows 7/8? Is it better, if I choose a Linux distro with lesser updates?

* I've read about SSD alignment is needed. How to achieve this? I plan to keep "/"(root),"/boot" partitions in SSD and "/home"(Home directory) in Sata HDD. is this the correct strategy?

* I've read that wear levelling with TRIM enabling in Operating Systems. Since I may be using ext4 file system, will adding some paramaters to /etc/fstab enough(like "discard" option). I read that a cron job running weekly for garbage collection is better recommended(elsewhere).

* For Gnu/Linux- Which one is more recommended SSD's based on controller chipset: Sandforce or Marvell? Note that Currently, I chose "Crucial M4 64GB" drive for reliability. I need the most reliable, yet vfm( :whistle: ) drive since RMA/Warranty is a issue sitting in India.

* I am using a primitive Zebronics 450W PSU for many years now. Will I need to replace it? Mind this is a C2D E4600 system with 2 GB ram.

* I am buying from USA to India, since Crucial or most of the SSD brands are damn expensive here. So, If I buy from USA, is there any brands like Intel which will honour warranty on SSDs Internationally(means in India)?

I think that you have gotten some bad advice. Unless I am wrong, and I am frequently wrong,
- You have to be careful to get a distro that will support the TRIM command. If I read correctly, here's an old post on how to do a practical test: http://duopetalflower.blogspot.com/2010/11/enterprise-kernel-6-has-ssd-trim.html
- Go ahead and do updates to the drive. You bought it to work for you. Make it work.
- Alignment is either supported by the distro's installation process or is not there.
- You don't run garbage collection on the drive, it runs it itself when it has idle time, or when it runs out of writeable space.
- An SSD will only add a few watts to your draw, so power should not be an issue.
- I don't know about international warranties.

Unfortunately, this is a forum mostly for Windows users. Your questions are specific to Debian. Any Debian users with SSDs out there?

coolguy80

Honorable
May 6, 2012
Thanks for the reply WyomingKnott. Regarding TRIM support, I learnt that latest Kernel supports TRIM irrespective of distro. but, some distros *may* be fine tuned for SSD use..ubuntu?

chamaecyparis

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010
It may not help much, but I'd say save the headache and go with something like this. I have and have no regrets.

I run MX-14 and Salix XFCE 14.1 with no problems on two separate Samsung SSDs

If worried about warranties, purchase a short-term extended one from vendor.

But, it appears I am necromancing with this thread -- oh well!
lol

Best wishes!