TheOneBarHero

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
Okay so I'm planning on purchasing an SSD for a new build I am doing for the added speed. I plan on installing Win7, Games, Photoshop, Vegas, etc. onto it. This wouldn't necessarily be my "primary" drive as for I will have a 1TB caviar black, but if I install my Win7 onto the SSD, can you have it by default that you documents, music, photos, movies, go to your mechanical hard drive. I ONLY want to use an SSD for booting my OS and most used apps. While saving my media and documents on my mech. drive. Thanks for helping!

Solution
You can specify your "My Documents" folder to reside on another physical drive but I would do this after you make a copy of it's contents since sometimes things don't work as intended.

Right click on the folder, properties, include a folder, set as save location. If you have any issues just hit restore defaults button.

I typically use my SSD as primary location for "My Documents" but have an auto backup run to create a backup daily. My 2nd, 3rd drives are Music, Movies, Files etc, and 3rd drive external encrypted backup of photos, email and sensitive documents as well as an online backup for email .pst files and photos.

I would recommend minimum 80gig SSD which would be plenty for Win7, MS Office, and 2-3 games but you can keep...

joe_newbuilder

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
A note though. I noticed that you listed vegas as one of your apps. If you are doing content creation it may be worth your while to leave the application on the hard drive and move the data you are working on to the SSD. Also make sure you leave room on the ssd for the applications temp files. Moving those to an SSD has a big effect because in effect this is where the applications will put information it can not fit into ram.

billj214

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
You can specify your "My Documents" folder to reside on another physical drive but I would do this after you make a copy of it's contents since sometimes things don't work as intended.

Right click on the folder, properties, include a folder, set as save location. If you have any issues just hit restore defaults button.

I typically use my SSD as primary location for "My Documents" but have an auto backup run to create a backup daily. My 2nd, 3rd drives are Music, Movies, Files etc, and 3rd drive external encrypted backup of photos, email and sensitive documents as well as an online backup for email .pst files and photos.

I would recommend minimum 80gig SSD which would be plenty for Win7, MS Office, and 2-3 games but you can keep less frequently played games installed on your 1tb WD Black.

You won't regret getting an SSD, the HDD is usually the primary bottleneck for all PC's. My Windows experience index is 7.8 for all items except CPU at 7.6 (i5 2500k).

Good Luck!

Solution

TRENDING THREADS