SSD Setup from Ubuntu to Windows 10 - Defragmentation, Trim, and Other Overwrites

SomaComa

Commendable
Mar 21, 2016
I was told you must be careful of temporary files and set the Trim to have a low cahe rate, and set their path to an HDD so the temp files are written to the HDD despite the fact that the OS is on the SSD. This is just want I was told when working at a computer lab building custom machines.

Thoughts,
Soma_Coma

Solution
If you do clean install of W7 Sp1, W8/8.1 or W10 it will detect SSD and set everything accordingly. Just make sure that SATA port is set to AHCI mode before installing Windows.
Do not defrag SSD and for the rest you don't have to threat it any different than ordinary HDD.
If you are replacing Linux with Windows make sure you delete all partitions that Linux made on the disk.
If you do clean install of W7 Sp1, W8/8.1 or W10 it will detect SSD and set everything accordingly. Just make sure that SATA port is set to AHCI mode before installing Windows.
Do not defrag SSD and for the rest you don't have to threat it any different than ordinary HDD.
If you are replacing Linux with Windows make sure you delete all partitions that Linux made on the disk.

Solution

somacomadreams

Honorable
Aug 26, 2013

Yeah it used to be a dual boot, but I switch to a virtual machine for Ubuntu within the Windows 10 operating system. It seems more stable and still meets all my needs. Well I guess a trim, temporary files, and extra writes don't matter then everything is already setup great. I of course made sure my recycling bin doesn't actually store anything from the SSD, aside from that I've installed all necessary drivers and monitoring equipment and everything seems fine. I was just concerned because of some stuff I read when I was using my SSD in Linux, because they have a very large guide on how to do it and you have to set up quite a few things. I guess the only other thing I will do on Windows is make sure that it is not ever indexed.